Notebook: Cody White moves into starting role

<p>Freshman wide receiver Cody White (7) runs upfield late in the game against Indiana on Oct. 21, 2017, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Hoosiers 17-9.</p>

Freshman wide receiver Cody White (7) runs upfield late in the game against Indiana on Oct. 21, 2017, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Hoosiers 17-9.

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

After a 17-9 win over Indiana, the Spartans improved to 6-1 on the season and are now bowl eligible for the first time since 2015. 

Head coach Mark Dantonio spoke to reporters on Tuesday to recap the win over the Hoosiers and preview MSU’s upcoming matchup against Northwestern University on the road. 

Here are a few takeaways:

AP POLL: The Spartans moved up two spots to No. 16 in the latest AP Top 25 poll, while Michigan found themselves out of the rankings for the first time this season after a 42-13 loss to No. 2 Penn State.

In the Amway Coaches Poll, MSU came in at No. 18, one spot higher than last week. 

DEPTH CHART CHANGES: After a 99-yard performance last weekend against Indiana, true freshman wide receiver Cody White is listed as a starter at WR for the first time this season.

"Cody had an outstanding game, I think, this past week," Dantonio said. "So we moved him up. I think, really, our wide receiver situation is going to be pretty much unchanged in the fact we're going to play a lot of them. We'll play a lot of different guys at different positions. They're going to be interchangeable — probably see six or seven different guys playing. And if a guy gets a hot hand or guy gets the ball thrown to him and is catching the football, then he's going to have opportunities."

White, who was listed on the depth chart as the starting punt and kickoff returner against the Hoosiers, remains the kickoff returner but has given the punt return reins to Connor Heyward.

Heyward fielded one kickoff for 20 yards, and White returned three punts for a total of 4 yards.

FULL FOOTBALL GAME: Last week, prior to MSU’s homecoming game, Dantonio said he was searching for the Spartans to have a full game, empty of mistakes. 

Despite a 6-1 record and ranked No. 16 in the nation, Dantonio is still waiting for the Spartans to have a complete football game.

"I do not think we played our best football game yet as a team," Dantonio said. "Brian Lewerke has not been on fully. We've not run the ball fully. We've not gone through a game where everything is going right for us. We need to have one of those football games as we get here in the second half of the season."

Share and discuss “Notebook: Cody White moves into starting role” on social media.