New 10-story apartment building on Bogue and Grand River proposed

A rendering of the proposed apartment building at the corner of Grand River Avenue and Bogue Street. If approved, the 10-story mixed-use building would house up to 585 beds. Photo courtesy of the City of East Lansing
A rendering of the proposed apartment building at the corner of Grand River Avenue and Bogue Street. If approved, the 10-story mixed-use building would house up to 585 beds. Photo courtesy of the City of East Lansing —

A new 10-story mixed-use apartment building could be built on the corner of Grand River Avenue and Bogue Street.

The proposed plan comes from Core Campus Lansing, LLC, part of the Chicago-based firm Core Spaces, which has built student housing at other Big Ten campuses, including University of Wisconsin-Madison and University of Michigan. 

The building would hold a maximum of 585 beds, with 158 parking spaces, some of which will be used by retail customers only, according to the staff report. 

East Lansing Zoning Ordinance requires 34 parking spaces for the amount of retail space provided. It also requires 483 parking spaces for the number of proposed beds, but the company plans to provide reasoning as to why the number of spaces should be reduced.

In order to build, the 7-Eleven and Georgio’s Gourmet Pizzeria buildings would be demolished, and then included in the retail space, according to company’s attorney, David Pierson.

Since the proposed building is not in an area zoned for business, it will not have to comply with an ordinance commonly known as the "25 percent rule" which requires that much of the housing to be owner-occupied or for senior citizens, Planning and Zoning Administrator David Haywood said in an email.

The East Lansing Planning Commission will review the application and submit its recommendation to City Council on whether the building should be approved. There is no timeline set yet, but the planning commission doesn’t meet again until Nov. 15.

This proposal comes after the collapse of the Park District project, part of which would have been a hotel, and the potential collapse of the Center City District project which is proposing 92 units for senior housing and 273 units for mixed market housing.

Share and discuss “New 10-story apartment building on Bogue and Grand River proposed” on social media.