MSUPD received false sexual assault report in September

An apartment complex is pictured at the Spartan Village Apartments on Sep. 28, 2017. There were signs pointing residents and visitors to the complexes.

The MSU Police Department received a false police report about a sexual assault that occurred near Spartan Village apartments in East Lansing, according to a release from the department.

MSUPD initially issued an MSU Alert on Sept. 9 after receiving a report of the alleged assault. 

After investigating a claim made to the department, MSUPD was able to determine the report was false. Officers were able to determine that no sexual assault had occurred after conducting interviews, reviewing video surveillance and collecting evidence.

"The MSU Police Department takes criminal reports seriously and acts upon them, including utilizing the MSU Alert system," the release said. "MSU Alert messages are intended to warn the community about certain crimes and notify it of potentially dangerous situations on or near campus."

"These messages inform community members about incidents that may pose an ongoing threat and provide information to promote safety and prevent similar crimes. Additional information about MSU alerts is available at alert.msu.edu."

Stay with The State News for updates.

Share and discuss “MSUPD received false sexual assault report in September” on social media.