MSU to increase security for on-campus events

MSU police will increase security efforts for campus events, starting Friday. As part of this security increase, there will be a greater police presence for campus events and a no-bag policy will be established for indoor athletic events.

The decision to start increasing security comes from "concerns both nationally and internationally," according to a release from MSU Today. The increased security follows local concerns such as threats against athletics received by MSUPD and ELPD on Oct. 6 and the Las Vegas shooting on Oct. 2.

Despite this, MSU spokesperson Jason Cody said increased security and police presence doesn't stem from any one event, but rather stems from reviewing current safety measures.

Cody also said having a more visible police presence helps give reassurance that security is taken seriously and it also gives community members the opportunity to alert authorities if they see something troubling.

Efforts to increase security for high-profile events, like football games, are also on the list. The new security measures will be put in place for the first time at Midnight Madness on Friday.

The no-bag policy is already in effect at football games, but the policy will now extend to the Breslin Center and Munn Ice Arena for events that take place in those spaces.

"Though there have been no specific threats made, police, athletic and campus leaders want to remind members of the MSU community to always remain vigilant and be aware of their surroundings. If you see something, say something; it is always better to be safe," the MSU Today release states.

Share and discuss “MSU to increase security for on-campus events” on social media.