Saturday, January 22, 2022

First Park District building demolition begins

<p>Several workers survey the area during the demolition of the blighted building on Oct. 7, 2017, at the corner of Grand River and Abbot. Two lanes on Grand River in front of the building and part of Abbot were closed for safety.</p>

Several workers survey the area during the demolition of the blighted building on Oct. 7, 2017, at the corner of Grand River and Abbot. Two lanes on Grand River in front of the building and part of Abbot were closed for safety.

Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

The demolition of the blighted building on the corner of Grand River Avenue and Abbot Road is underway.

Demolition is expected to be done by Sunday evening, and debris will be removed over the next few weeks.

The destruction of the building closes a chapter in  the 16 year-long saga to remove the blight and build new developments.

Mayor Mark Meadows said he is confident a new project will be built there.

When new development plans are approved for Park District Project, the developer can begin construction right away, Meadows said.

Only the building on the corner will be demolished this weekend, but the other blighted building at 134-140 W. Grand River Ave. will come down soon, according to a press release from the city.

Do you want the news without having to hunt for it? Sign up for our morning s'newsletter. It's everything your friends are talking about and then some. And it's free!

Share and discuss “First Park District building demolition begins” on social media.