Park District demolition to create weekend road closures

<p>An empty building is pictured at the corner of Grand River Avenue and Abbot Road on June 6, 2017. The building has since been demolished, and the remaining site is part of the Park District redevelopment project.</p>

An empty building is pictured at the corner of Grand River Avenue and Abbot Road on June 6, 2017. The building has since been demolished, and the remaining site is part of the Park District redevelopment project.

The blighted building on the corner of Grand River Avenue and Abbot Road is scheduled to be demolished on Saturday, Oct. 7.

Road closures to allow for demolition begin the morning of Friday, Oct. 6, according to a press release

Currently, there are no plans as to what will be built where the buildings are, but the city is confident something will be built, Mayor Mark Meadows said.

Abbot Road and Evergreen Avenue, between Albert Avenue and Grand River Avenue, will be completely closed to all traffic, according to the release. Also, two westbound lanes of Grand River Avenue, between M.A.C. Avenue and the Michigan Avenue intersection, will be closed with a lane shift to the center lane.

Signs will be posted to direct traffic and pedestrians around the demolition.

The roads should be reopened by the morning of Monday, Oct. 9, but debris will be removed throughout the next few weeks.

The blighted building at 134-140 W. Grand River Ave. is scheduled to be demolished in late October or early November.

The demolition will not affect downtown businesses, as all of them will be accessible according to the release.

Share and discuss “Park District demolition to create weekend road closures” on social media.