OISS adds online counseling, resources related to executive orders

The Office for International Students and Scholars, or OISS, recently took on new initiatives to aid students in their navigation of foreign languages and cultures.

The International Student Support Program comes from a partnership with Canada-based human resources company Morneau Shepell that connects students with licensed psychologists — similar to ones available in on-campus counseling centers — according to OISS Director James Dorsett.

“International students, of course, come from a variety of countries and from a variety of cultural backgrounds and in some cultures, going to a counselor or a psychologist (or a) psychiatrist is not something that is looked upon as something that’s okay to do,” he said.

Hence the necessity for an online tool, which is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 

Not only does the program assist students who come to MSU from foreign countries, it is also available to those traveling abroad to study.

OISS Assistant Director, Elizabeth Matthews, who works primarily with the support program as of late, noted it is not a replacement for on-campus counseling services.

“This is in addition to,” she said. “This program provides an opportunity for students and scholars who may for various reasons not want to go in person to speak with a counselor.”

In addition to the support program, the OISS website now features a page devoted entirely to President Trump’s executive orders. 

“The decision was made by upper administration that there should be a central point on campus for having information about the executive orders,” Dorsett said. “It was decided that it would be through OISS.”

The page lists each executive order as it was announced as well as resources an affected student can utilize.

Share and discuss “OISS adds online counseling, resources related to executive orders” on social media.