Nassar in the News: MSU legal costs top $2.5M, author says Nassar cases rare, one year after Nassar reports

<p>Judge Donald Allen Jr looks at Larry Nassar during the final day of the preliminary examination hearing in the 55th District Court on June 23.</p>

Judge Donald Allen Jr looks at Larry Nassar during the final day of the preliminary examination hearing in the 55th District Court on June 23.

Michigan State's legal costs related to Nassar now measured in millions | Lansing State Journal | Sept. 11, 2017

MSU faces over $2.5 million in legal fees related to Nassar. In June, MSU added a second law firm for insurance purposes, where hourly billing rates are as high as $990.

As of mid-August, MSU has hired five law firms. The most recent documents provided to the Lansing State Journal show the firms had billed MSU for $2,582,194.

Last spring, MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon said MSU had enough money to "deal with those issues as prudent to the university."

According to MSU, these fees are being paid for through non-endowment investment income.

Author Explores Campus Sexual Assaults In "Blurred Lines" | WKAR | Sept. 11, 2017

The causes and solutions to college and university sexual assault are explored in the book "Blurred Lines: Rethinking Sex, Power and Consent On Campus." The author, Vanessa Grigoriadis, hopes to encourage students to treat each other with dignity.

Grigoriadis told WKAR she believes assault cases like Nassar's and the case related to MSU's ex-football players are rare.

In her book, she reasons that universities should shut down or co-educate fraternities. She told WKAR fraternities can be dangerous environments due to unsupervised drinking and cemented gender norms.

One year after Nassar reports, some questions remain | The State News | Sept. 6, 2017

It's been about a year since Nassar's name first came to light. In that span of time, 119 women have alleged he sexually abused them under the guise of medical treatment. In that span of time, Nassar was arrested, pleaded guilty to three child pornography charges and faces 42 criminal charges in Ingham and Eaton County.

Rachael Denhollander alleges Nassar abused her at MSU when she was a 15-year-old gymnast in 2000. A year ago, Denhollander shared her story with IndyStar, an Indianapolis-based newspaper. IndyStar reporters Marisa Kwiatkowski, Tim Evans and Mark Alesia wrote the story that first brought Nassar's name to light and interviewed Denhollander and one other for the story.

In response to that initial article, MSU fired Nassar. IndyStar initially received backlash from Nassar supporters, the reporters said, but this backlash stopped following the discovery of more than 37,000 images of child pornography on Nassar's work computer.

Nassar's name has been in the news ever since the initial article came out, and MSU has been in hot water at the same time. Following Nassar’s termination, MSU has released statements, details on investigations and a website with the purpose of keeping the public informed.

But major questions still remain: How did this happen at MSU? Who knew about it? What could have been done to prevent it? What is being done now to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Jeff Caponigro, president and CEO of Caponigro Public Relations, Inc., said although MSU doesn’t necessarily have the responsibility to lay out everything that was learned in the past year, it should answer these questions.

“The biggest takeaway is set an example in your institution and tone in your institution that this will be taken seriously,” Denhollander said. “And that people who do not properly handle warning signs of sexual abuse and reports of sexual abuse will not be tolerated in the organization. There’s no wiggle room for that.”

Share and discuss “Nassar in the News: MSU legal costs top $2.5M, author says Nassar cases rare, one year after Nassar reports” on social media.