Nassar in the News: USA Gymnastics settled Nassar case, might have broken law

Former gymnasts demand removal of USA Gymnastics leaders, saying they didn't do enough to stop sexual abuse | The Orange County Register | Aug. 17, 2017

Former gymnasts Rachael Denhollander and Jamie Dantzscher spoke at a press conference on the opening day of the P&G Gymnastics Championships. They called for removal of USA gymnastics leaders, stating the organization didn't do enough to protect gymnasts from abuse.

“It’s not that they just did nothing, they went even further and they protected, they protect sexual abusers and they know about it,” Dantzscher said. “And they try to conduct business as usual like everything is going to be fine. In my mind, they think they’re invincible because they’ve been getting away with it for so long.” 

P&G Gymnastics Championships begins at Honda Center under a cloud of scandal | Los Angeles Daily News | Aug. 16, 2017

The P&G Gymnastics Championships are set to start amidst ongoing controversy and criticism surrounding USA Gymnastics knew about Nassar. The championships are gymnastics' serve as the national championship and the qualifier for the World Championships.

Former Olympic medalist Jamie Dantzscher and others have criticized USA Gymnastics for what they say is focusing on protecting the organization's image and brand and limiting legal vulnerability instead of getting to the bottom of the problem.

“This is what they’ve always done,” Dantzscher said. “They’ve tried to move on and cover it up as fast as they can, business as usual. They still have to make their money.”

Eaton County sexual assault charges against ex-MSU doctor to proceed next year | MLive | Aug. 16, 2017

Nassar will stand trial in Eaton County early next year. A pretrial hearing has been scheduled for Feb. 14, 2018 to determine a trial date in Eaton County.

Nassar's Eaton County trial will take place after his Ingham County trial has been completed.

USA Gymnastics settled California sex-abuse complaint against Dr. Larry Nassar, former gymnast confirms | The Orange County Register | Aug. 15, 2017

USA Gymnastics provided a former U.S. national team gymnast with an out-of-court settlement after she approached them and alleged she was abused by Nassar. USA Gymnastics may have violated California law by reaching a confidential settlement.

USA Gymnastics declined to comment on the settlement.

Michigan State, Larry Nassar lawsuits heading to mediation | Lansing State Journal | Aug. 2, 2017

The federal lawsuits against Nassar, MSU and others could reach a settlement during a 90-day mediation period. If the parties do not reach a settlement during the 90 days, the lawsuits will proceed to litigation.

If litigation does happen, defendants such as MSU could file motions to dismiss the case.

The 90 day period could be extended.

Share and discuss “Nassar in the News: USA Gymnastics settled Nassar case, might have broken law” on social media.