MSU to play DePaul instead of Georgetown in PK80

<p>Head coach Tom Izzo expresses emotion during the second half of the game against&nbsp;Penn State University in the second round of the Big Ten Tournament on March 9, 2017 at the Verizon Center in Washington D.C. The Spartans defeated the Nittany Lions, 78-51.</p>

Head coach Tom Izzo expresses emotion during the second half of the game against Penn State University in the second round of the Big Ten Tournament on March 9, 2017 at the Verizon Center in Washington D.C. The Spartans defeated the Nittany Lions, 78-51.

Instead of playing Georgetown as initially intended, the Spartans will open the Phil Knight Invitational against DePaul on Nov. 23.

The Spartans and Blue Demons are a part of the eight-team "Victory" bracket that opens play at the Moda Center in Portland, Ore. 

Other match-ups in the field include Connecticut vs. Oregon, Arkansas vs. Oklahoma, and North Carolina vs. Portland. 

The PK80 is a 16-team tournament to celebrate Nike founder Phil Knight's 80th birthday. 

The Spartans last played DePaul in 2003, to which MSU took an 89-81 victory at the Breslin Center. The Blue Demons, however, hold a 7-4 all-time series lead.

In a statement to the Washington Post on Monday, Georgetown Athletic Director Lee Reed said the school will no longer be competing in the tournament.

"The Georgetown’s men's basketball program is in the midst of an exciting time of rebuilding,” Athletic Director Lee Reed said in the statement. "Georgetown has a prominent, seasoned head coach who has begun this process, which will continue to develop in the fall. After considerable consultation with ESPN, we have reached a mutual agreement that Georgetown will not participate in the PK80 Phil Knight Invitational this November. The University values its longstanding partnership with ESPN and looks forward to participating in future events. We appreciate the understanding of the fans and organizations associated with this event and wish success to all involved."

Share and discuss “MSU to play DePaul instead of Georgetown in PK80” on social media.