Court of Appeals 'unwilling' to review charges against Mateen Cleaves

<p>Former men's basketball player Mateen Cleaves points to the crowd on Dec. 12, 2015 during the game against Florida at Breslin Center. The 2000 national champion MSU basketball team was honored at halftime. <strong>Photo by Julia Nagy</strong></p>

Former men's basketball player Mateen Cleaves points to the crowd on Dec. 12, 2015 during the game against Florida at Breslin Center. The 2000 national champion MSU basketball team was honored at halftime. Photo by Julia Nagy

Former MSU basketball player Mateen Cleaves' appeal on reinstating sexual assault charges against him will not be inspected, an appeals court ruled Monday.

Three Michigan Court of Appeals judges denied requests from Cleaves in an order dated from July 31, according to the Associated Press. The case is expected to return to court in Genesee County.

Judge Archie Hayman reinstated the case against Cleaves, 39, in April. Cleaves is currently facing charges of unlawful imprisonment and second-degree criminal sexual conduct after allegedly assaulting a woman after a charity golf outing and an incident at a bar in 2015.

Cleaves' attorney, Frank Manley, released a statement after the court's ruling and said he'll continue to represent Cleaves despite the "unjust accusations" levied against Cleaves.

"I have been made aware that the Court of Appeals was unwilling to dismiss Mr. Cleaves' charges after the District Court determined that the complainant (sic) was not credible," Manley said in the release. "My position remains unchanged. I will continue to fight for Mr. Cleaves, in whatever forum necessary, so that he can put these unjust accusations behind him and focus on his continuing service to our community."

Cleaves, initially from Flint, led the Spartans to an NCAA Championship in 2000 and played for four different NBA teams.

Share and discuss “Court of Appeals 'unwilling' to review charges against Mateen Cleaves” on social media.