Tyler Oakley selected as 2017 Homecoming grand marshal

<p>Photo courtesy of <a href="http://www.lukefontanaphoto.com/">Luke Fontana.</a></p>

Photo courtesy of Luke Fontana.

YouTube star Tyler Oakley is coming home.

MSU announced the former Spartan will be the grand marshal for the 2017 edition of Homecoming, which runs Oct. 15-21. Oakley, a 2011 graduate of the College of Communication Arts and Sciences, gained internet stardom through the increasing popularity of his personal YouTube channel.

He is an independent video creator whose channel garners nearly eight million subscribers and who has more than 23 million followers across all social media platforms. Currently, he hosts the show “The Tyler Oakley Show” on ellentube.

Earlier this year, Oakley appeared on Forbes list, "30 under 30." Among other lists, Oakley was named one of Time Magazine's "30 Most Influential People on the Internet" and The Hollywood Reporter's "Top 25 Digital Stars."

Oakley has pursued other endeavors aside from internet-based work. He has found success as both an author and filmmaker; he was on the New York Times Bestseller List for 11 straight weeks for his book “BINGE” and released his self-documentary “SNERVOUS.” 

In the past, Oakley has been a consultant for former President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama on using digital platforms to connect with youth.

Oakley said he could not be more pleased to return to his alma mater to participate in the Homecoming event. His fond recollections of past experiences at MSU give him more reason to be excited to officiate such an event. 

“Growing up in Michigan, I always hoped I’d someday study at MSU, and when I was accepted, I was so excited for the education and experiences to come as a Spartan,” Oakley said to MSU Today. “Whether it was life as an R.A. in Wilson Hall, my time spent working as a telemarketer reaching out and connecting with alumni or the invaluable communication courses, my experiences at MSU made me who I am.

“Ten years ago, I made my first video in my dorm room at Michigan State, and I'm honored to be returning as MSU Homecoming grand marshal an entire decade later.”

Share and discuss “Tyler Oakley selected as 2017 Homecoming grand marshal” on social media.