LJ Scott named to Maxwell Award Watch List

<p>Sophomore running back LJ Scott (3) holds his arm out to fend off Ohio State linebacker Chris Worley (35) during the game against Ohio State on Nov. 19, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Buckeyes, 17-16.<br>
</p>

Sophomore running back LJ Scott (3) holds his arm out to fend off Ohio State linebacker Chris Worley (35) during the game against Ohio State on Nov. 19, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Buckeyes, 17-16.

Photo by Nic Antaya | The State News

Spartan junior running back LJ Scott has been added to the 2017 Maxwell Award Watch List, the Maxwell Football Club announced Monday. Since 1937, the award has been given to America's College Player of the Year.

Scott is one of 11 players from the Big Ten on the 85-player watch list. 

Scott — a Hubbard, Ohio native — earned a third-team All-Big Ten selection by the media last season while leading the team and setting career-bests with 994 rushing yards, 184 carries and six rushing touchdowns.

Scott tied for third most in the conference last season with five 100-yard games, four of which came in the last six games of the season, including a career-best 160 yards rushing and 236 all-purpose yards performance against then-No. 2 Ohio State on Nov. 19.

Through his first two seasons, Scott has rushed for 1,693 yards — fifth most among any MSU running back through their first two seasons — and 17 touchdowns in 26 games.

Semifinalists for the Maxwell Award will be announced Oct. 30, and the three finalists will be named on Nov. 20. The winner will be announced at the Home Depot College Football Awards Show on Dec. 7, and a formal presentation of the award will be made at the Maxwell Football Club Awards Gala on March 9, 2018.

Share and discuss “LJ Scott named to Maxwell Award Watch List” on social media.