Title IX investigation surrounding MSU football concludes, 2 others remain

<p><br>
Head coach Mark Dantonio leaves the stadium after the Green and White Spring Game on April 1, 2017 at Spartan Stadium. The White team defeated the Green team, 33-23.</p>

Head coach Mark Dantonio leaves the stadium after the Green and White Spring Game on April 1, 2017 at Spartan Stadium. The White team defeated the Green team, 33-23.

The Title IX investigation into the alleged sexual assault involving three MSU football players was completed Monday.

Chris Solari of the Detroit Free Press first reported that MSU spokesman Jason Cody said the university has not taken any action to remove the individuals — who remain unnamed — as students. Cody said he could not discuss the specifics or outcome of the investigation because of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, or FERPA. 

The Title IX investigation was conducted by Rebecca Veidlinger, an independent attorney based in Ann Arbor who has previously worked in MSU's Title IX office. Veidlinger signed a contract with MSU on Feb. 2 and focused on potential violations of the university's relationship violence and sexual misconduct policy. 

The Free Press reported that according to Cody, if any policy violation was found to occur it would move into the student conduct system. A panel would determine any potential sanctions, though a student has the right to appeal a decision. According to MSU's web page on the student conduct system, sanctions could include dismissal from the university.

However, if no violation is found during the investigation, the matter would come to a close.

The Title IX probe is one of three investigations that began after an alleged rape took place on Jan. 16 at the University Village apartments. The incident was reported to MSUPD on Jan. 17. MSU announced the suspension of the players  from football-related activities and removal from on-campus housing on Feb. 9.

The criminal case has been under review by the Ingham County Prosecutor's Office since March 14. The State News confirmed with the Ingham County prosecutors that the case is still under review.

The third investigation is an examination into the football program, and is being conducted by Jones Day law firm, which began Feb. 10. The Free Press also reported that investigation remains ongoing, according to Cody.

Stay with The State News for updates. 

Share and discuss “Title IX investigation surrounding MSU football concludes, 2 others remain” on social media.