Sunday, May 12, 2024

Nassar in the news: Defense strategy for Nassar starting to form, prelim hearing continues

Three more alleged victims testify on second day of Nassar's preliminary examination hearing | The State News | May 26, 2017

Ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar's preliminary examination hearing continued Friday in the 55th District Court in Ingham County. On Friday, three additional alleged victims testified against Nassar.

The preliminary examination is being held to determine if there is enough evidence for Nassar to stand on trial for the 15 first-degree sexual assault charges against him in this court. There is one testimony left in the preliminary examination hearing, which will take place June 23.

On Friday, 55th District Court Judge Donald Allen Jr. heard testimonies from from "Victim D," "Victim A," "Victim E" and "Victim B," as they are identified in court records. Three of these alleged victims are minors.

The preliminary examination picked up with the cross-examination of "Victim D," who testified Nassar never asked for consent to digitally penetrate her.

Media and public access to "Victim A's" testimony was restricted, as Allen adopted regulations set by Eaton County Judge Julie Reincke in April. She testified Nassar massaged her vaginal area and digitally penetrated her without a glove or consent. She also testified her appointment started with a chaperone, but penetration occurred when the chaperone did not return to the exam room, which would be a direct violation of the sanction following the 2014 Title IX investigation of Nassar.

"Victim E" began seeing Nassar at an MSU clinic in 2011. She had a total of five appointments with him, she said. She testified Nassar diagnosed her with scoliosis and Scheuermann's disease, but that another doctor in Ann Arbor saw no signs of Scheuermann's disease and the scoliosis was not as severe as Nassar had diagnosed. "Victim E" said she is upset and angry and still has trust issues.

"Victim B" alleges she was digitally penetrated by Nassar both vaginally and anally on multiple occasions when he began treating her for back problems in 2010. "Victim B's" testimony was similar to "Victim E's" in that it included common themes from other alleged victims. "Victim B" said a parent was present in the exam room during the alleged penetration, Nassar did not ask for consent before penetration, Nassar did not use gloves during penetration, she wore loose athletic clothing during the appointment and she was given a gift from Nassar, a metallic green leotard.

The preliminary examination will conclude June 23 with the final testimony. At this time, it will be determined whether or not Nassar will stand on trial for these charges.

What we may be learning about Larry Nassar's defense strategies | Michigan Radio | May 26, 2017

Clear themes are forming within the defense's strategy, as shown by Friday's preliminary examination hearing. Nassar's defense attorneys, Shannon Smith and Matt Newburg, seem to argue Nassar's vaginal and anal penetration techniques are legitimate medical procedures.

They also seem to argue these medical techniques are ones the alleged victims aren't familiar with because of Nassar's "unique level of expertise."

It is also suspected the defense is trying to determine the witness' motives in testifying, suggesting the alleged victims are attempting to win monetary damages in a civil suit. 

For Nassar accusers, testifying 'takes a lot of courage' | Lansing State Journal | May 26, 2017

For alleged Nassar victims, testifying is no easy task. The women and girls who have testified against Nassar thus far in the preliminary examination hearing have been met with intense questioning and each alleged victim's response has been different.

House OKs bill requiring sports groups to report sex abuse | The Washington Post | May 25, 2017

Last week, the U.S. House of Representatives "overwhelmingly" backed a bill that requires sports groups housed under the U.S. Olympic Committee to report claims of sexual abuse to police. The bill comes from the sexual assault allegations being made against Nassar.

The bill passed with a vote of 415-3. The legislation was sponsored by Rep. Susan Brooks, R-Ind., who said the Olympic community failed to protect athletes.

Stay with The State News for continued coverage of ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar. 

Share and discuss “Nassar in the news: Defense strategy for Nassar starting to form, prelim hearing continues” on social media.