MSU volleyball travels to Italy for Foreign Tour

Redshirt junior outside hitter Autumn Bailey (2) bumps the ball during the first round of the NCAA Championship against Fairfield University on Dec. 2, 2016 at Jenison Field House. The Spartans defeated the Stags, 3-0.
Redshirt junior outside hitter Autumn Bailey (2) bumps the ball during the first round of the NCAA Championship against Fairfield University on Dec. 2, 2016 at Jenison Field House. The Spartans defeated the Stags, 3-0. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | The State News

The MSU volleyball team is traveling to Italy for athletic and academic training, cultural exposure and competition. The team will be making stops in cities such as Venice, Milan and Rome, as well as the Trieste Region.

During the tour, the team will compete against Italian clubs Volleyro Roma and Club Italia, as well as the junior national teams from Italy and Slovenia. Individual study abroad and research opportunities will also be available for the students. It will give them the chance to learn about Italian culture and current events between competing, training and sight-seeing. 

“This is a great opportunity for our program on so many levels,” head coach Cathy George told MSU Athletic Communications. “We will play four games, including two against national teams, which will test us as well as give all of our players some exposure to the international game. We’ll visit many of the famous monuments and sites throughout the country that are likely bucket-list items, and we will do and see things that will allow us to bond and grow as a team as well.

"We’re very excited for this adventure. I have to extend a thank you not only personally but also on behalf of our program to Mark Hollis and all of our administration for their support of this trip – we are very thankful that we were able to make this happen for our program.” 

Share and discuss “MSU volleyball travels to Italy for Foreign Tour” on social media.