MSU baseball announces 2017 team awards

<p>The Spartans and the Toledo Titans come together after the game against Toledo on April 26, 2017 at McLane Baseball Stadium at Kobs field. The Spartans defeated the Titans, 11-1.&nbsp;</p>

The Spartans and the Toledo Titans come together after the game against Toledo on April 26, 2017 at McLane Baseball Stadium at Kobs field. The Spartans defeated the Titans, 11-1. 

MSU baseball head coach Jake Boss Jr. has announced the 2017 team awards.

The John Kobs Most Valuable Player award went to both senior second baseman Dan Durkin and junior outfielder Brandon Hughes. 

This season Durkin started all 52 games for MSU and was named to the All-Big Ten second team. Durkin led all Big Ten second basemen with a .497 slugging percentage. 

Along with co-recipient of the MVP award, Hughes was also voted the Kirk Gibson Offensive Player of The Year and the Danny Litwhiler Defensive Player of the Year. Hughes was also named to the All-Big Ten second team. He finished the season with a .330 batting average, chipping in 67 hits.

Redshirt-sophomore pitcher Alex Troop was voted the Robin Roberts Most Valuable Pitcher. Troop had previously been named Big Ten Pitcher of the Week on May 22 after his performance against the University of Michigan. He finished his season with a 2.47 ERA. 

Freshman outfielder Bryce Kelley was named the Steve Garvey Most Improved Player. Kelley led MSU with a .364 batting average, ranking seventh in the Big Ten in only conference stats. Kelley tallied a hit in 22 of 24 conference games.

Junior outfielder Dan Chmielewski was named the Jerry Sutton Student-Athlete Award, the second consecutive season he has earned the honor. A psychology major, Chmielewski earned a 4.0 grade-point average and was named a first-team College Sports Information Directors of America Academic All-District honoree. He finished the season with a .280 batting average.

Senior pitcher Josh Buchalski and redshirt-freshman pitcher Caleb Sleeman were both named recipients of the Craig Hendricks Spartan Spirit Award. The recognition is for the most positive team player.

MSU concluded its 2017 season after posting a 29-23 overall record, 10-14 in Big Ten play. The Spartans just missed the conference tournament, finishing No. 9 in the standings.

Share and discuss “MSU baseball announces 2017 team awards” on social media.