10 things to do in East Lansing now that warmer weather has arrived

From left to right, James madison freshmen Allie Pail, Dana McDorman-Kolata, Claudia Allou and Georgia Artzberger study outside on Feb.19, 2017 at Case Hall. They had gone to get gelato together prior to their study session.
From left to right, James madison freshmen Allie Pail, Dana McDorman-Kolata, Claudia Allou and Georgia Artzberger study outside on Feb.19, 2017 at Case Hall. They had gone to get gelato together prior to their study session. —
Photo by Chloe Grigsby | and Chloe Grigsby The State News

The weather is finally warming up in East Lansing, and it's time to get outside and enjoy the sunshine. The warmer weather opens the door for a slew of activities for students and residents to partake in. Here is a list of 10 fun things to do in East Lansing now that the harsh Michigan winter seems to be over. 

Make a trip to an ice cream shop

There is nothing better than ice cream after class on a nice day. With locations in Anthony Hall and the Union, the MSU Dairy Store sells ice cream, ice cream floats, ice cream sandwiches and more. There is also Cold Stone Creamery on M.A.C. Avenue and Tasty Twist on Grand River Avenue. Students can grab a frozen treat to make their stroll across campus enjoyable.

"I like to go to the Tasty Twist to get ice cream," media and information junior Aarmond Cook said. "Normally, I'll get the ice cream inside and then go outside and eat that, you know it's the perfect weather for it."

Grab dinner at a local restaurant with outdoor patio seating

The weather is perfect to enjoy food out in the sun. Restaurants like El Azteco and The Peanut Barrel offer open patio seating during the warmer weather, which makes for a fun meal with friends.

Take a walk or a bike ride along Red Cedar

The Red Cedar River is a landmark at MSU, so take a bike ride or just a nice walk and enjoy the sights and sounds of the river. The changing weather also calls for fashion changes, so walks or bike rides are light and easy.

"It's getting nicer out, it's nice to switch up the shoes and not wear heavy boots and I can wear sneakers," creative advertising sophomore Nicole Kay said.

Have a picnic with your friends

Grab some blankets, a speaker with music and some friends for a nice, relaxing picnic in the sun. Dorms usually have large lawn areas behind the buildings for students to play sports and relax. Use a little bit of that space to spread out some blankets and enjoy a meal.

Feed the ducks

The Red Cedar River attracts a lot of ducks when the weather is warm. The ducks like to gather near Wells Hall. In moderation, feed the ducks on the grass with friends. The interaction is sure to cause some laughs.

Drink iced coffee outside of Espresso Royale

It’s finally that time of year to make the switch from hot coffee to iced coffee. Espresso Royale offers a number of cold beverages and outdoor seating to get people through those warm spring afternoons.

Participate in a 5k

Get in shape for the new season and raise money and awareness for a good cause by participating in a 5k. MSU clubs and organizations hold numerous 5k runs throughout the year. The warmer weather should be extra motivation to participate. Grab a friend and challenge yourself with a fun run.

Visit the W.J. Beal Botanical Garden

The W.J. Beal Botanical Garden is a natural getaway right on campus. The nature of the garden offers a spectacular, colorful view. It’s the perfect place to relax with benches available for everyone. The fresh spring air is sure to clear anyone's head.

Grill

Make use of the warm air to take the chance to cook outside. If your apartment complex or rental home comes with a grill, fire it up and make dinner for you and your friends.

Lay outside and get a tan

Catch some Vitamin D by laying outside. Take a break from homework, play some music and relax on your lawn. 

Share and discuss “10 things to do in East Lansing now that warmer weather has arrived” on social media.