MSU gives update on internal investigations at latest board meeting

<p>The MSU Board of Trustees meets on June 15, 2016 in the Administration meeting. It was the board's last meeting for the academic year.</p>

The MSU Board of Trustees meets on June 15, 2016 in the Administration meeting. It was the board's last meeting for the academic year.

In light of recent controversies surrounding ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar, President Lou Anna K. Simon and the Board of Trustees provided an update on the university internal reviews and provided new steps at Thursday morning’s Board of Trustees meeting.

Simon said an internal review of MSU HealthTeam policies and practices has been completed and policies regarding informed consent and the role of chaperones have been strengthened.

“We are now engaging a comprehensive third-party quality and safety assurance review as we continue our commitment to achieving the highest patient care and safety standards across all MSU clinics,” Simon said in a statement.

This review is being consolidated administratively and financially under the MSU HealthTeam, she said.

MSU will engage independent experts to review MSU’s Title IX policy in fall 2017 as an effort to accelerate the review of the Title IX program.

“When we began the process of revamping our Title IX program in 2014 ... we planned on revisiting our efforts once the program was running for a couple of years to gauge our progress,” Simon said. “Given all the issues surrounding sexual assault we face as a society and as a campus community, I feel it is prudent to move forward with this review on an expedited schedule.”

Simon said the review of the Title IX policy will take place during the summer, when they will choose an external individual. Pepper Hamilton was used in 2015, the last time an outside expert reviewed the Title IX policy.

Simon said there are a variety of issues the review could address—many suggested by the Sexual Violence Advisory Committee.

The review could include new policies for better communication strategies on the university side, as Simon said they are protected by FERPA, making efforts to encourage victims to come forward, changing the annual review of relationship violence policy and making tweaks and refinements in the judicial process in response to changing federal regulations within the Department of Justice.

“Even as we examine—through both criminal investigations and internal review—how something so abhorrent happened here and went on for so long, we are continuing to take action,” Simon said.   

MSU will roll out an enhanced youth protection policy within the next 30 days, Simon said, but little information about the new policy was given.

“If you look at our website now, there are a number of policies that have been in place since we reviewed them in 2013," Simon said. "Those (were) reviewed as best practices and those included things like background checks, handbooks, a set of protocols for picking up children and all of those kinds of things you would expect.”

Simon said MSU police are still working on the investigation and are working closely with the Michigan Attorney General and federal law enforcement.

In support of the initiatives Simon spoke of, Chairperson Brian Breslin read a statement on behalf of the Board of Trustees.

“These initiatives, while not directly related to the allegations involving Nassar, ensure the university is taking steps to work even harder to create the safest campus and community possible," Breslin said.

Breslin also said the Board of Trustees is being regularly briefed on the allegations of sexual assault concerning Nassar and on the progress of the internal review being led by Patrick Fitzgerald of Skadden Arps.      

Share and discuss “MSU gives update on internal investigations at latest board meeting” on social media.