Sens. Stabenow, Peters will oppose Gorsuch nomination

Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., gives a speech on July 26, 2016, the second day of the Democratic National Convention, at Valley Forge Casino Resort in King of Prussia, Pa.
Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., gives a speech on July 26, 2016, the second day of the Democratic National Convention, at Valley Forge Casino Resort in King of Prussia, Pa. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

U.S. senators Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) and Gary Peters (D-Mich.) announced on Tuesday, via separate statements, that they will vote against Judge Neil Gorsuch’s Supreme Court nomination.  

In her statement, Stabenow claims Judge Neil Gorsuch is not qualified for the role of Associate Justice of the Supreme Court because of his impartial views. 

“After reviewing Judge Gorsuch's rulings, it is clear that he has a long record of siding with special interests and institutions instead of hard-working Americans.  And, therefore, in my judgment, he does not meet this standard of balance and impartiality,” Stabenow wrote. “While serving on the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals, Judge Gorsuch  ruled against Alphonse Maddin , a truck driver from Michigan who was fired for leaving his trailer on the side of the road after breaking down on a cold night and fearing he would freeze to death.” 

Maddin sued, but Judge Gorsuch defied the six other judges' rulings, deciding that Maddin should have risked his life to follow company orders, according to Stabenow's press release.

Stabenow also cited a 2008 Gorsuch ruling against the parent of an autistic child seeking special education. At Gorsuch's confirmation hearing, the Supreme Court unanimously ruled that disabled students are entitled to more protections to access to quality education than Gorsuch believed.  

Another case Stabenow cited is Gorsuch’s ruling “in favor of the rights of corporations over the rights of women to have access to health care.”

Stabenow further stated, “After carefully reviewing his record and listening to his testimony last week in the Senate Judiciary Committee, I have concluded that supporting the nomination of Judge Neil Gorsuch to the United States Supreme Court is not in the best interests of the people of Michigan whom I am proud to represent.”

Peters turned his attack to Gorsuch's rulings on cases involving citizens vs. corporations and stated in a press release, "The U.S. Supreme Court is often the last line of defense for everyday Americans, and Judge Gorsuch’s previous rulings indicate he believes that corporations have greater rights than individuals."

Peters also said Gorsuch "often fails to take into account the human face behind each case" while also criticizing Gorsuch for "fail(ing) to acknowledge how deeply the Citizens United decision has corrupted our government."

According to Peters' statement, "Serving on the U.S. Supreme Court requires more than education and experience, and I am extremely concerned that Judge Gorsuch’s judicial approach is out of step with mainstream American values. After careful consideration of Judge Gorsuch’s comments and his record, I cannot support his nomination to serve on our nation’s highest court.”

The National Republican Senatorial Committee attacked Stabenow’s filibuster decision via press release as being “a rubber stamp for radical Democratic leadership.”

“Debbie Stabenow is clearly more interested in playing petty partisan games than representing Michiganders,” Katie Martin, a committee spokeswoman, said in the press release. “Voters will remember Stabenow siding with the liberal elite in Washington over them when they head to the polls in 2018.”

The Senate Judiciary Committee is expected to vote on Gorsuch’s nomination April 3. 

Share and discuss “Sens. Stabenow, Peters will oppose Gorsuch nomination” on social media.