Big Ten Tournament: Michigan defeats Illinois, 75-55

Junior forward D.J. Wilson (5) dunks the ball in the first half of the game against Illinois during the second round of the Big Ten Tournament on March 9, 2017 at Verizon Center in Washington D.C. The Wolverines are up at half time, 40-29.

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The University of Michigan and the University of Illinois kicked off day two of the Big Ten Tournament at the Verizon Center in the nation’s capital as the Wolverines defeated the Fighting Illini, 75-55. 

The Wolverines have already endured a hectic travel to the Verizon Center as their airplane was blown off of the runway because of high winds. Everybody on board was safe, however, Derrick Walton Jr. sustained a cut which needed stitches.

Instead of sleeping overnight on the east coast, the Wolverines flew out of Michigan earlier this morning, arriving a few hours before game time. They wore their practice jerseys during the game because their game jerseys failed to make the trip. Despite the adversity, they rolled over the Fighting Illini.

This contest was Maize and Blue all game long, on both sides of the ball.

On offense, the Wolverines shot just north of 55 percent. Zac Irvin, Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman, Walton and D.J. Wilson all scored in double figures. The Wolverines finished with nine 3-pointers. 

Defensively, U-M poached 10 steals which turned into 16 points the other way. Illinois shot a respectable 46 percent but failed to gain a sizable run to put it in contention.

The Illini’s notable shot maker Malcolm Hill was ice cold, shooting 1-8 for 4 points. Sixth-year guard Tracey Abrams scored 23 of the team's 55 points.

U-M will move on the play top-seeded Purdue tomorrow at noon. That game will be televised on ESPN. 

Final performances:

U-M (21-11 overall, 11-8)

Points: Walton (19)

Rebounds: Wilson (7) 

Assists: Walton (5) 

Illinois (18-14 overall, 8-11)

Points: Abrams (23)

Rebounds: Finke (7)

Assists: Lucas (3)

Penn State defeated Nebraska on day one, advancing to play MSU following the U-M-UI game. Bottom seed Rutgers beat Ohio State, moving forward to play Northwestern.

Share and discuss “Big Ten Tournament: Michigan defeats Illinois, 75-55 ” on social media.