Motions filed to add new plaintiffs in Nassar case, total up to 56

Former MSU employee Larry Nassar looks towards the  55th District Court Judge Donald L. Allen Jr. during the preliminary examination on Feb. 17, 2017 at 55th District Court in Mason, Mich. The preliminary examination occurred as a result of former MSU employee Larry Nassar's alleged sexual abuse.
Former MSU employee Larry Nassar looks towards the 55th District Court Judge Donald L. Allen Jr. during the preliminary examination on Feb. 17, 2017 at 55th District Court in Mason, Mich. The preliminary examination occurred as a result of former MSU employee Larry Nassar's alleged sexual abuse. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

Several motions have been filed to add new plaintiffs to Denhollander et al v. Michigan State University et al, a lawsuit against former MSU employee Larry Nassar.

Nassar is accused of sexually abusing patients in his role as a doctor, including MSU student-athletes and members of the U.S. Women's Olympic Gymnastics Team.

The potential plaintiffs include a high school soccer player, a gymnast from Olympia Gymnastics Academy in Shelby Township and gymnasts from Geddert's Twistars-USA, a gymnastics club that has been named a defendant in the lawsuit.

Nassar worked with Twistars gymnasts from 1996 to 2016 and multiple assaults allegedly took place on the premises. A parent allegedly complained about Nassar’s conduct to Twistars owner John Geddert in 1998 though the allegations were never addressed, according to court documents.

A motion filed on Feb. 22 criticized MSU for failing to notify patients Nassar treated at the MSU Sports Medicine Clinic when he was charged with criminal sexual conduct.

"MSU failed or refused to notify (Nassar's patients), even though it was reasonably foreseeable that the allegations against Nassar would become public and Plaintiff and others like her would learn that the treatment they received was not treatment, but, instead, a sexual assault," the motion said.

MSU was also recently criticized for failing to notify former Nassar patients in a letter written by MSU alumna Catherine Hannum. Hannum, a former member of the MSU rowing team, learned about the charges against Nassar through a friend.

“It’s the school’s responsibility to have reached out to us and to ask us if we could provide information, if we were comfortable and did we need anything and could they provide us support, and nobody has done that," Hannum said.

If all current motions are granted, the lawsuit will have 56 plaintiffs.

Share and discuss “Motions filed to add new plaintiffs in Nassar case, total up to 56” on social media.