MSU student receives 18 months probation after guilty plea for assault and battery

<p>East Lansing Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News</p>

East Lansing Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

Photo by Courtney Kendler | The State News

Mathematics junior Boyang Ye was sentenced to 18 months of probation and a domestic violence training program Wednesday morning after pleading guilty to assault and battery.

On Nov. 1, 2016 the East Lansing Police Department responded to a welfare check. A woman answered the door while naked and told the responding officers that her ex-boyfriend was trying to rape her. The male suspect, Ye, was in a bed in the bedroom and was not wearing pants. The responding officers separated the subjects and took their statements. 

According to the victim's statement, Ye is her ex-boyfriend and they broke up after a year-long relationship. She stated that she invited Ye over to discuss their relationship, but only if he agreed it would be the last time she would have to see him. 

In Ye's statement, he said that the victim invited him over to "beat her." He said the victim's reasoning was "because she had been very rude and insulting to him in the past and this was a way to make things up to him."

After the victim invited Ye to come over, she texted a friend and told the friend that she was meeting with Ye as a precaution. The victim told the friend that if she did not contact the friend before 1:30 p.m. to call the police because the last time the victim met with Ye, he took her phone from her when she tried to call the police.

The victim arrived home at approximately 1 p.m., and according to both statements, they went into her bedroom and the victim stated she needed to study while they talked. According to the victim's statement, Ye told her he wanted to have sex, but she said no. He then tried to remove her sweater, she said no and resisted, but he continued to remove the sweater. After he removed it, he began grabbing her breasts and pulled her onto the bed.

According to Ye's statement, the victim removed her own shirt and climbed into bed. Ye stated that he tried to remove the victim's pants, but she said no and he stopped. He said that she took her pants off herself.

The victim told Ye that "she did not want to have sex but did take off her pants and underwear because she was afraid he would beat her if she did not." Ye then attempted to have sex with her, but the victim did not want to because they did not have a condom and the victim did not want to become pregnant. Ye then stated "if she got pregnant she could go have an abortion because she'd had an abortion in the past."

According to the victim's statement, after that, Ye held her on the bed while she was naked and grabbed her breasts. Ye stated that "he was just hugging her."

Ye was arraigned on Nov. 3, 2016 on a charge of criminal sexual conduct fourth degree and a charge of domestic violence. He was released on bond with the provision that he was not within 500 feet of where the victim works, lives or attends class and he had no direct or indirect contact with her.

On Dec. 15, 2016 a plea hearing was held. The domestic violence charge was dismissed and the criminal sexual conduct fourth degree was pled down to assault and battery.

Ye then pleaded guilty and was disposed on a guilty plea to the charge of assault and battery. His probation will start immediately.

Share and discuss “MSU student receives 18 months probation after guilty plea for assault and battery” on social media.