PREVIEW: Spartans travel to Columbus to take on winless Buckeyes

Freshman forward Nick Ward (44) and freshman guard and forward Miles Bridges (22) cheer during the men's basketball game against Minnesota on Jan. 11, 2017 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Golden Gophers, 65-47.
Freshman forward Nick Ward (44) and freshman guard and forward Miles Bridges (22) cheer during the men's basketball game against Minnesota on Jan. 11, 2017 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Golden Gophers, 65-47. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

After blowing out No. 24 Minnesota at the Breslin Center Wednesday, the Spartans (12-6, 4-1 Big Ten) travel out to Columbus, Ohio, Sunday for the first meeting against the Ohio State University Buckeyes (10-7 overall, 0-4 Big Ten) this season. 

Sunday will be MSU’s first time leaving the Breslin since traveling out to the Palestra in Philadelphia, Pa. on Jan. 7 and losing to Penn State, 72-63. It's also the start of a two-game road trip with the other game being against Indiana on Jan. 21. 

Head coach Tom Izzo said after the win against Minnesota his team played in its best game of the season, but in order for the team to grow it needed outings like that on a more consistent basis. As the Spartans try to replicate their performance against the Buckeyes, here are some things to watch for as the Spartans aim for their fifth Big Ten win. 

Energy early will be key

Associate head coach Dwayne Stephens said after the team’s practice Friday getting on the board first has been a point of emphasis for Spartans. After falling behind 6-0 against Rutgers on Jan. 4 and 12-4 against Penn State early in regulation, MSU was able to take an early 11-4 lead on Minnesota which allowed a team to work on building off a lead instead of digging themselves out of an early hole. 

"When you have a team that's that versatile and they have a ton of scorers you can never relax on defense," Stephens said. "And that's what we've been preaching to our guys as we prepare for them." 

Izzo could have two point guards on the floor

In limited minutes in recent games, Izzo has experimented with junior guard Lourawls "Tum Tum" Nairn Jr. and freshman guard Cassius Winston on the floor at the same time because each player adds a different dynamic on both sides of the ball. 

Nairn’s speed in transition makes him a weapon for rapid fire scoring drives while adding to the depth of the defensive front. Winston’s ability to pass the ball opens opportunities for perimeter shooters like senior guards Eron Harris and Alvin Ellis III or sophomore Matt McQuaid — Winston can also drive through traffic for freshmen forwards Miles Bridges and Nick Ward in the post. 

Board work for the big men

OSU’s starting lineup features size — the shortest being redshirt-junior guard Kam Williams at 6-foot-2 giving the Buckeyes an advantage in brute physicality. Each of OSU’s starting five is averaging over 10 points per game and as a team is shooting .469 from the field. 

Ward, a 6-foot-8 freshman, will be matched up with 7-foot-0 junior center Trevor Thompson. Thompson comes into the game averaging 10.7 points and 9.1 rebounds per game. As a team, OSU is 8-2 in games where they've outrebounded opponents. Ward, on the other hand, owns the scoring advantage, averaging 13.6 a contest. The rookie also averages 6.7 rebounds a game. 

The Spartans will be playing small ball

With OSU featuring a starting lineup with two forwards and a center, being able to drive the lane will be no easy task for MSU’s guards. Instead, MSU will have to rely on quick screens and outside shooting. 

MSU holds the advantage in 3-point shooting, shooting .366 from beyond the arc while the Buckeyes are outshot by opponents from 3-point range. The Spartans can feature a number of lineups with perimeter shooters from Harris, Ellis III and McQuaid to freshmen guards Joshua Langford and Bridges, all of whom shoot better than 35 percent with the exception of McQuaid (.328). 

"There are three things I feel we can control: our attitude, our effort, and our energy," Langford said. "I feel like if you control those things...we can leave the courts satisfied because as long as we give it our all then it's all we can do." 

The Buckeyes are down but not out

Winless in both conference play and the month of January, Stephens said the Buckeyes are hungry for a win. Three of OSU’s first four games would come against eventually ranked opponents, facing then-No. 20 Purdue on Jan. 5, No. 24 Minnesota Jan. 8 and No. 18 Wisconsin on Thursday all consecutively. 

With the Buckeyes playing against top-ranked competition, Stephens said this game will be harder than what it will seem. 

"They've probably played the toughest schedule thus far in the Big Ten," Stephens said. "I know a lot of people see the 0-4, but they were in three of those games. Tough game (against Wisconsin), but they're a very talented bunch and we're going to have to bring it in order to get a win there." 

Prediction

OSU is desperate for a win and another loss at home would be crushing to a team that looked ready to take charge heading into conference play. The Buckeyes hold a physical advantage in the paint, meaning it could be a long day for Ward, Bridges, and other forwards coming off the bench for Izzo. 

The win against No. 24 Minnesota was a big one , the type a team can feed off and build on. Outside shooters like Harris, Langford and Ellis III need to bring their A-game, especially if points in the post will be coming at a premium. 

The loss at the Palestra was a kick in the gut and there's nothing on MSU’s current resume saying they can win a big game away from the Breslin. However, the matchup favors MSU from 3-point range and Bridges and Ward can generate enough tenacity in the paint if they stay out of foul trouble. A narrow win will still be good for this team’s psyche and a big win could earn them a spot back in the polls. 

MSU 73, OSU 67

Tipoff at the Value City Arena at the Jerome Schottenstein Center is set for 1:38 p.m. and will be televised on CBS Sports. 

Share and discuss “PREVIEW: Spartans travel to Columbus to take on winless Buckeyes” on social media.