Three complaints filed against Nassar with licensing office

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette speaks to press regarding the arrest and investigation of ex-MSU faculty member Larry Nassar on Nov. 22, 2016 in G. Mennen Williams Building at 525 W. Ottawa St. in Lansing.
Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette speaks to press regarding the arrest and investigation of ex-MSU faculty member Larry Nassar on Nov. 22, 2016 in G. Mennen Williams Building at 525 W. Ottawa St. in Lansing. —
Photo by Derek VanHorn | and Derek VanHorn The State News

Ex-MSU faculty member Larry Nassar is still licensed to practice medicine, despite having been fired by both MSU and USA Gymnastics after a series of sexual abuse allegations.

Nassar was moved from Ingham County Jail to Newaygo County Jail on Jan. 20. He is being held without bond, awaiting trial for criminal sexual conduct in the first degree, a felony. He is also accused of possessing thousands of images of child pornography.

Nassar currently holds two pharmacy licenses — a drug control license and a controlled substance license — as well as an osteopathic physician license, according to the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, LARA.

Though the state of Michigan has the power to temporarily suspend a license if “there is an imminent threat to the public’s health, safety or welfare,” this step has not been set in motion in Nassar’s case.

LARA’s online database displays no open formal complaints and says no disciplinary actions have been taken, but LARA communications representative Michael Loepp confirmed three complaints have been filed against Nassar.

All three complaints are currently undergoing an administrative review and were filed Sept. 13, Sept. 15 and Dec. 22.

The administrative review process is designed to “determine if there may be a violation of the Public Health Code,” according to LARA’s website. If the Complaint Intake Section finds that the Public Health Code might have been violated, the complaint will be authorized for investigation.

If the complaint is substantiated in the investigation, an administrative complaint may be issued and a hearing can be held.

“If the matter went to a hearing, an Administrative Law Judge would determine if there was a violation of the Public Health Code,” Micheal Loepp, a communications representative from LARA said via email. “If so, the matter would then go to the Disciplinary Subcommittee of the appropriate health Board to determine what sanctions to impose.”

Regardless of the findings of a LARA investigation, Nassar could still lose his licenses.

In the event of a felony conviction, Nassar’s licenses will be automatically suspended by the State of Michigan, according to the Michigan Public Health Code.

Nassar's federal trial begins Feb. 21.

Share and discuss “Three complaints filed against Nassar with licensing office ” on social media.