Meet the fall 2016 commencement speakers

<p>Students take their seats prior to the Spring Convocation ceremony May 2, 2014, at Breslin Center. Graduating seniors were honored as a whole prior to individual college commencement ceremonies. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Students take their seats prior to the Spring Convocation ceremony May 2, 2014, at Breslin Center. Graduating seniors were honored as a whole prior to individual college commencement ceremonies. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

MSU alumni John Duffey, Barbara Ross-Lee and Michael Longaker will be the commencement speakers at MSU’s fall commencement. Duffey will speak at 10 a.m. on Dec. 17, Ross-Lee will speak at 2 p.m. on Dec. 17 and Longaker will speak at MSU’s advanced degree graduation ceremony on at 3:30 p.m. on Dec. 16.

John Duffey

Duffey was the chief financial officer for the theme park company Six Flags from September 2010 to February 2016.

Duffey and his wife, who both graduated from MSU in 1982, donated $2.5 million to MSU in February to help renovate the Breslin Center by creating a MSU basketball hall of history and to help fund a professorship in the MSU School of Hospitality Business.

Prior to working as the CFO for Six Flags, Duffey was executive vice president and chief financial officer for Dade Behring, Inc. before the company was acquired by Siemens Medical Solutions Diagnostics in 2007. From there, Duffey became the executive vice president and chief integration officer for Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics.

At the ceremony, Duffey will receive an honorary doctorate of business.

Barbara Ross-Lee

Ross-Lee is the vice president for health sciences and medical affairs at th

New York Institute of Technology. She is responsible for the School of Health Professions and the College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Ross-Lee was the first African-American woman to serve as a medical school dean in the U.S., a position she assumed at Ohio University College in 1993. She is currently the director of the American Osteopathic Association Health Policy Fellowship program.

Ross-Lee has a history of work in the sciences. She graduated from MSU’s College of Osteopathic Medicine in 1973 after earning her bachelor’s and master’s degrees at Wayne State University. After graduating from MSU, she opened a family practice in Detroit, the same place she and her sister, singer Diana Ross, grew up.

At the ceremony, Ross-Lee will receive an honorary doctorate of science.

Michael Longaker

Longaker has a long legacy in medicine, and serves as the co-director of the Stanford Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine. He also serves as Stanford’s director of children’s surgical research.

Longaker began his career at MSU, where he played on the men’s championship basketball team. Though not the team’s all-star, Longaker was a guard for Earvin “Magic” Johnson. He played in the 1979 highest-rated college basketball game of all time, when the Spartans went up against the undefeated Indiana State Sycamores led by Larry Bird.

Longaker continued his education at Harvard Medical School. He served his surgical residency at the University of California, San Francisco, and served a residency in plastic surgery at New York University. He received a craniofacial fellowship at UCLA.

He received MBAs from the University of California, Berkeley and Columbia University.

Longaker has authored more than 1,200 papers and is an inventor with more than 40 issued patents and patent applications. His focus is on wound repair and fibrosis and skeletal development and repair.

At the ceremony, Longaker will receive an honorary doctorate of science

Other speakers will include Rajmohan Gandhi, Natalie Crawford and Dennis Archer.

Share and discuss “Meet the fall 2016 commencement speakers” on social media.