Multiple players on men's soccer team given honors by Big Ten

The Spartans celebrate after freshman midfielder Giuseppe Barone (10) scored a goal during the game against Northwestern on Oct. 22, 2016 at DeMartin Stadium at Old College Field. The Spartans defeated the Wildcats, 2-1.
The Spartans celebrate after freshman midfielder Giuseppe Barone (10) scored a goal during the game against Northwestern on Oct. 22, 2016 at DeMartin Stadium at Old College Field. The Spartans defeated the Wildcats, 2-1. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

The No. 15 MSU men’s soccer had eight honorees when the Big Ten announced their postseason awards on Friday, according to a press release.

Sophomore forward Ryan Sierakowski was named to the first-team All-Big Ten. The Spartans have had at least one first-team selection every season since 1999. In 2015, Sierakowski was named to the freshman All-Big Ten team and he became the first true freshman to score more than six goals in a season for MSU. The forward currently leads MSU men’s soccer with nine goals and is ranked at No. 2 in the conference.

MSU had three players named to the Big Ten second-team: redshirt-sophomore goalkeeper Jimmy Hague, junior midfielder Ken Krolicki and junior defender Jimmy Fiscus. The Spartans haven’t had three men make the second team selection since 2010, according to the release.

Hague is having a breakout season in goal for MSU. He is ranked No. 3 in the Big Ten in goals with a save percentage of .797. The goalkeeper received All-Big Ten Academic honors in 2015. 

Krolicki has also received other Big Ten honors in his time at MSU. The midfielder was named to the Big Ten All-Freshman team in 2014, and Academic All-Big Ten in 2015. He is tied for second for MSU scoring with three goals and two assists, which resulted in eight points this season. Fiscus is the only Spartan this season to have played every minute of every game.

Freshman midfielder Giuseppe Barone was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year. Barone is tied with Krolicki for the second amount of points on the team, with two goals and four assists. The midfielder is the second Spartan ever to receive this honor.

Freshmen defenders Michael Pimlott and Michael Wetungu were both named to the All-Freshman team.

The last Spartan to be recognized by the Big Ten was senior defender Dewey Lewis. Lewis was honored with the Sportsmanship Award, which honors student-athletes who demonstrate good citizenship outside competition as well as good academic standing.

Share and discuss “Multiple players on men's soccer team given honors by Big Ten” on social media.