Highly-touted basketball recruit Gary Trent Jr. selects Duke over MSU

Head coach Tom Izzo answers a question during Men's Basketball media day on Oct. 20, 2016 in the Breslin Center.
Head coach Tom Izzo answers a question during Men's Basketball media day on Oct. 20, 2016 in the Breslin Center. —
Photo by Emilia McConnell | The State News

One of the top shooting guard recruits in the 2017 men’s basketball class recently narrowed down his collegiate choices to Duke University, MSU and UCLA. He was scheduled to make his commitment at 6:15 on ESPNU.

Gary Trent Jr., son of former NBA player Gary Trent, selected the Blue Devils over the Spartans and Bruins. Trent Jr. was believed to select Duke, according to 247sports, though MSU head coach Tom Izzo and assistant coach Dwayne Stephens recruited Trent Jr. extensively.

247sports lists Trent Jr. as the 11th best prospect in the 2017 class and the No. 2 shooting guard. Trent Jr. attends Prolific Prep in Napa, Calif., the same high school as current Kansas freshman Josh Jackson, whom the Spartans also missed out on this past recruiting season.

“From the start they all had a close relationship with and I have the best conversations with them and I feel the most connection with them,” Trent Jr. said on narrowing down his decision, via 247sports. “Those three schools I feel can help me in the best way possible, so that’s who I’m moving forward with in my process.”

Trent Jr., the 6-foot-5, 213-pound guard, transferred to Prolific Prep this season. The decision came one month after deciding to transfer from Apple Valley High School in his home state of Minnesota to national prep powerhouse Findlay Prep in Nevada.

The Spartans still have highly-touted recruits in La Lumiere forward Jaren Jackson — who is No. 22 in class and the No. 8 power forward, according to 247sports — and Grand Rapids Christian forward Xavier Tillman, No. 89 in class and top player in state of Michigan. Both signed their national letters of intent on Wednesday.

MSU will now turn its attention to Brian Bowen, a native of Saginaw, Mich. who attends La Lumiere School with Jackson. MSU is listed as the favorite to land Bowen, according to 247sports, and Bowen is listed at No. 17 in the class the No. 4 small forward. 

Share and discuss “Highly-touted basketball recruit Gary Trent Jr. selects Duke over MSU ” on social media.