MSU women's basketball ranked third in Big Ten preseason coaches poll

Junior guard Tori Jankoska throws the ball as she is defended by Penn State guard Brianna Banks during the game against Penn State on Feb. 11, 2016 at the Breslin Center. Spartans were defeated by the Nittany Lions  65-61.
Junior guard Tori Jankoska throws the ball as she is defended by Penn State guard Brianna Banks during the game against Penn State on Feb. 11, 2016 at the Breslin Center. Spartans were defeated by the Nittany Lions 65-61. —
Photo by Kelly vanFrankenhuyzen | and Kelly vanFrankenhuyzen The State News

With the MSU women's basketball season right around the corner, the Big Ten conference released its preseason coaches and media polls, according to a press release. In the rankings, MSU is tied for third with Indiana University in the coaches poll.

The Spartans are coming off a season in which they advanced to the Big Ten Tournament championship game and also the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The team also finished third in the regular season Big Ten standings with a 13-5 conference record.

2016-17 BIG TEN COACHES PRESEASON POLL

1. Maryland

2. Ohio State University

3. Indiana/MSU

Along with the team rankings came the preseason All-Big Ten team for the players. Of the 10 players, senior guard Tori Jankoska was the only Spartan represented. Jankoska was also selected by both the coaches and media.

Last season marked the second straight year Jankoska was named to the second-team All-Big Ten squad after averaging 15.1 points per game, second on the team at the time. Jankoska is also the 25th Spartan to cross the 1,000-point mark in her career, when she did so last year during her junior year.

The women's basketball team will kick off its season Nov. 6, in an exhibition game when they host Northwood University. The game is scheduled for 2 p.m. and will be at the Breslin Center.

Share and discuss “MSU women's basketball ranked third in Big Ten preseason coaches poll” on social media.