HALFTIME: MSU basketball leads Northwood, 48-35

Head coach Tom Izzo yells instructions to the team during the first half of the basketball game against Northwood on Oct. 27, 2016 at Breslin Center.
Head coach Tom Izzo yells instructions to the team during the first half of the basketball game against Northwood on Oct. 27, 2016 at Breslin Center. —
Photo by Victor DiRita | and Victor DiRita The State News

Following the first half of MSU men's basketball first action of the season, MSU lead the Northwood Timberwolves 48-35 in an exhibition performance. The Spartans showed signs of inexperience littered across the first period, not capturing the lead until the game was eight minutes through.   

Northwood announced its presence within the first portion of the first half, beginning the game on a 6-0 run and forcing two turnovers on the Spartans' first two possessions. 

With opening turnovers on the two first possessions, MSU's first points came when junior point guard Lourawls 'Tum Tum' Nairn Jr. smoothly swished a left-sided three-point jump shot. Freshman forward Miles Bridges immediately followed it up with a right-corner three of his own that lapped around the rim before falling through the net.

Bridges, the most acclaimed recruit of the Spartans' 2016 class, only had more to come.

Cassius Winston tied the game 9-9 with just under 14 minutes remaining in the first half with a harangued layup conversion after a crafty steal on the defensive side. 

MSU then finally gained the lead, 13-12, with 12 minutes remaining when junior guard Eron Harris dribbled into the lane, shrugged off a defender and rose to nail a 12-foot jumper. 

Northwood hung within one point, with consecutive threes from David Jelinek and Zach Allread.

Bridges extended the lead to six with under nine minutes remaining when the 6'7 forward plunged into the deep post to slam home a sordid slam in the face of a defender. After giving up a three, MSU responded in no time. Bridges again took fire from the right corner to set the score at 26-20 in favor of the Spartans.

Northwood was recalcitrant in its quest for an upset, narrowing the Spartans' advantage to 33-29 with five minutes remaining following an on-the-line two from junior guard Nick Spitzley.

A pair of Nick Ward free throws finally extended the Spartans' lead to 10 points with one minute remaining. MSU's advantage burgeoned to a climax 13 points on separate occasions in the first half, following a Ward follow-up and a Bridges layup that set the score at the halftime mark of 48-35.

MSU boasted five team blocks in the first half but was outrebounded 21-14. The Spartans also were the beneficiaries of 10 Northwood turnovers.

Bridges was the halftime standout, with 17 points, four blocks, two assists and three rebounds.  Northwood's Allread entered the break with nine points and a three.

Freshman shooting guard Joshua Langford did not play.

Share and discuss “HALFTIME: MSU basketball leads Northwood, 48-35” on social media.