Final debate results not expected to have large impact on polls

Democratic Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton addresses the crowed during her acceptance speech on the final day of the Democratic National Convention on July 28, 2016 at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia.  Clinton became the first woman to accept the nomination of a major party for the presidential election.
Democratic Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton addresses the crowed during her acceptance speech on the final day of the Democratic National Convention on July 28, 2016 at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia. Clinton became the first woman to accept the nomination of a major party for the presidential election. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

The last presidential debate between Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump was held Wednesday night at the University of Nevada in Las Vegas.

“Personally, I was very impressed with both candidates," MSU College Republicans Secretary Noelle Cohn said.

President of MSU College Democrats Daniel Eggerding said he believes Clinton won the debate.

"It was the last time for candidates to prove their temperament," Eggerding said. "It showed that Hillary Clinton is the only candidate for America."

However, the third debate tends to not affect who people vote for on election day.

"Historically the third debate usually moves one point or two points in the polls," director of the Institute for Public Policy and Social Research Matt Grossmann said. "It generally doesn't have a large effect."

Chris Wallace of Fox News Sunday was the moderator for the debate.

"I think Chris Wallace was a phenomenal moderator," Cohn said. "I think he did a lot better at getting Trump to answer specifically than previous moderators."

The debate was a good moment for Fox News because Wallace tried to keep the points steered toward policy, Grossmann said.

"I don't think there will be as many complaints about the moderation," Grossmann said.

At the end of the debate, Trump made a comment in which he called Clinton "a nasty woman." Grossmann said he believes this comment will be remembered because people tend to remember the last things that are said.

“It’s pure sexism, plain and simple," Eggerding said. "If it was another man, he would not have said it."

Cohn said Trump did not act like an adult when he made the comment.

"There is a certain respect for your opponent that you are innately supposed to have," MSU College Democrats Chief of Staff Michael Sandoval said. "Clearly, I think one person has that and one person does not."

Sandoval said he was at a loss for words after the debate.

“I honestly don’t know what to say as an American voter," Sandoval said. "This is an absolutely sad day in America. I think this election is, I don't even know, I don't even know how people will see us after this election."

The election is about more than just choosing a president, Cohn said.

"At the end of the day it should be about the issues — we all have our personal ideas, but we have to make America work," Cohn said.

MSU College Republicans Vice Chair Justin Gould could not be reached for comment.

How do students feel about the debate?

Bryton Weathers - Law student

“I was probably swayed towards Donald Trump. I would say that he actually pointed out the fact that what’s more important is the emails that happened between Hillary, and the situation in Benghazi, and how that he paralleled that to a general, basic conviction for a single lie. I think there’s a huge disparity there with responsibility. … When you’re in government for that long, you should know the protocol and know how to handle yourself in those situations.”

John Cotant - Economics senior

“I’m still staying firm in Trump’s corner. The way he carried himself (helped him), he didn’t really get into a lot of the poking at and jabbing at Clinton. He tried to stay, at least more than he usually does, towards the issues. It helped him out a little bit, but ... I don’t know if it could do a whole lot at this point.”

Aiya Jweihan - Graduate student

“I thought overall it was a little bit more mild than usual. I thought that Hillary Clinton did a pretty good job staying on track with everything. ... I think that Hillary had a good closing speech and Donald Trump really was predictable with what he was saying, so I think if anything the debate is going to sway more people to vote for Hillary. I think my thoughts were consistent on Donald Trump, but I was more impressed with Hillary.”

Blake Weil - Local high school student

“I like that it was the first time, I think, Fox News every had a presidential debate. … I think that Hillary definitely did a better standpoint on it, she answered more questions, less attacking like Trump usually does. … I was thinking (it) hopefully persuaded more people that are middle ground in a way, they didn’t necessarily decide either one yet, and I think it hopefully persuaded them more.”

Share and discuss “Final debate results not expected to have large impact on polls” on social media.