MSU gymnastics team physician accused of sexual abuse

<p>Michigan State University Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News</p>

Michigan State University Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

Photo by Courtney Kendler | The State News

An MSU professor and team physician for women's gymnastics, women's crew and a former USA Gymnastics team physician has been accused on two separate counts of sexual abuse.

Dr. Larry G. Nassar, who volunteered for USA Gymnastics for 29 years, teaches sports medicine in the College of Osteopathic Medicine. Nassar, who is an associate professor in MSU’s Department of Radiology, denied the allegations.

Two victims have come forward in separate interviews from The Indianapolis Star, and their detailed accounts are very similar. Both have filed civil lawsuits against Nassar.

According to the The Indianapolis Star, the victims, one who has requested to be unnamed and Rachael Denhollander, who was seeking treatment at MSU, both said they were molested during treatments between the 1990s to 2000s. They said Nassar allegedly fondled their genitals and breasts, and made inappropriate comments when they were alone.

MSU spokesman Jason Cody confirmed that these allegations are being investigated.

“Larry Nassar, a physician with MSU’s Sports Medicine program, has been temporarily relieved of clinical and patient duties as of Aug. 30 as part of an investigation into alleged misconduct,” Cody said. "This action is in response to a complaint made to authorities Aug. 29. As this is an ongoing investigation, it is not appropriate to comment further at this time.”

On Monday, USA Gymnastics made a statement that Nassar was no longer affiliated with the organization and that they are working with law enforcement officials to investigate the case.

Nassar is currently under investigation by MSU Police.

Share and discuss “MSU gymnastics team physician accused of sexual abuse” on social media.