Mike York rejoins MSU hockey team as student assistant

<p>Mike York, a former member of the MSU hockey team who played from 1995-1999, skates down the rink at Munn Ice Arena. &nbsp;Photo Courtesy of MSU Athletic Communications.</p>

Mike York, a former member of the MSU hockey team who played from 1995-1999, skates down the rink at Munn Ice Arena.  Photo Courtesy of MSU Athletic Communications.

The MSU hockey team announced Wednesday that alumnus and two-time All-American Mike York will be joining the MSU hockey team this season as a student assistant. York played at MSU from 1995-99 and earned two All-American honors before he went on to spend 10 seasons in the National Hockey League. York is returning to MSU to finish his degree in communication.

“I’m really happy to again be a part of the Michigan State hockey program," York said in a press release.  "This all came about really quickly and I’m excited. I love the game and want to stay involved with it, so this will be a great learning experience. I’m ready to get going.”

York earned a total of 322 points during his 10-season career in the NHL.

“We are thrilled that Mike York will be joining our staff,” MSU head coach Tom Anastos said in the release. “Mike has a wealth of playing experience and is one of our program’s all-time greats. He is passionate about the game, Michigan State University and Spartan hockey; he’ll be a terrific addition to our staff.”

York is ranked 12th on the program’s all-time scoring list with 201 points and is a two-time Hobey Baker Award finalist. As a freshman he received CCHA All-Rookie Team honors, and in the following year he earned himself a CCHA honorable mention. York was the eighth hockey player to be inducted into the MSU Athletics Hall of Fame, and also helped Team USA win silver in the 2002 Olympic games in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The Spartans will open the season on Oct. 2 at Munn Ice Arena in an exhibition game against Toronto University.

Share and discuss “Mike York rejoins MSU hockey team as student assistant” on social media.