Saturday, May 4, 2024

Kappa Sigma honors military at Harper's Give Back

From left, genetics senior Zack Krause listens to journalism senior Harrison Thrasher talk on September 1, 2016 at Harper?s Restaurant & Brewpub in East Lansing. Krause is the chapter president of Kappa Sigma which was holding a fundraiser for veterans through the Harper's Gives Back program.

There were a couple different reasons why neuroscience senior Trevor Davis decided to go to the Harper's Give Back on Thursday with Kappa Sigma.

He said one was that the brothers seemed fine when he’d talked to them at the Rock on Farm Lane for a fraternity event — he figured he’d like to see them at another function.

“I never wanted to be in a fraternity, but I figured I’d check it out,” Davis said. “I met these guys and they seemed cool so I figured, why not? Why not check it out?”

There was another reason, though. Davis is a corporal in the United States Marine Corps, and the philanthropy of the night was the Kappa Sigma Military Heroes Campaign.

“I think they’re just great," Davis said. "Honoring our military is honestly one of the best things that I could possibly think of. Honestly, the guys I’ve served with, they would see this and they would probably tear up.”

Biosystems engineering senior and Kappa Sigma Vice President Ryan Ziegler helped coordinate the fraternity’s event.

“People you don’t even know have given everything without a question, without a doubt,” he said. “it’s a simple way to kind of help (out) and give back.”

Davis's best friend, Collin Williams, was killed in action. Davis said he loved and missed his best friend, but thought Williams would have liked Harper’s Give Back Thursday.

“I think he would have been honored,” Davis said. “I think that he would respect the fact that I came to something like this.”

This past year, Harper's Restaurant and Brew Pub started the tradition of "Give Back Thursdays."

“Harper’s Give Back is an event put on and hosted by Harper’s where we come out and we try and raise awareness for a particular philanthropy,” Ziegler said. “All the cover from the event gets donated to the charity, and Harper’s said that they would like to donate on top of that.”

Harper’s Restaurant and Brew Pub used to just give money nationally, but owner Trish Riley said that she and her husband wanted to support the causes of the customers, which sparked the creation of Give Back Thursdays. Last year the event raised approximately $120,000.

“My goal next year is to double that,” Riley said. “We’ll see if I make it.”

Riley said she believes strongly in what these events teach.

“It’s a passion of mine to help other people for the rest of my life and teach the younger generation the importance of giving back,” she said.

Groups that get their philanthropy involved in a Give Back Thursday work with Riley and the general manager, Casey Comstock.

The $5 that would normally go toward cover to get into Harper’s Restaurant and Brew Pub is instead used as a donation to the philanthropy. Riley said she throws in an additional donation depending on the success of the night and the students she worked with.

The students who attend the event are given free food. Students who are less than 21 years old are allowed to stay until 11 p.m. Riley said she does this because these students all deserve these perks.

“It’s hard work, to go to school and also help your philanthropic causes,” she said. “It’s a big job.”

Davis said a fraternity taking these causes upon themselves was wonderful to see.

“Just the fact they’re actually doing something that not only helps but also honors a lot of my friends and a lot of my acquaintances,” he said. “It’s really heartwarming to be completely honest.”

Share and discuss “Kappa Sigma honors military at Harper's Give Back” on social media.