Spartans headed to the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio

<p>MSU basketball head coach Tom Izzo, former Spartan and current Golden State Warrior forward Draymond Green and Sparty cheer during the game against Oregon on Sept. 12, 2015, at Spartan Stadium. Green was recognized for his recent donation to the Spartan basketball program. The Spartans defeated the Ducks, 31-28. Kennedy Thatch/ The State News</p>

MSU basketball head coach Tom Izzo, former Spartan and current Golden State Warrior forward Draymond Green and Sparty cheer during the game against Oregon on Sept. 12, 2015, at Spartan Stadium. Green was recognized for his recent donation to the Spartan basketball program. The Spartans defeated the Ducks, 31-28. Kennedy Thatch/ The State News

Photo by Kennedy Thatch | The State News

Emily Regan

On June 23 it was announced former Spartan Rower Emily Regan would be competing in the 2016 Summer Olympics. She will compete as part of the U.S. women’s eight which seeks a historic 11th consecutive world or Olympic title, according to MSU Today.

Another Spartan was announced as heading to Rio, although for different reasons. 2006 graduate Christie Daiss will head south as part of the medical team, where she has been assigned to the athlete village.

“I don’t think I’ve been able to process my excitement yet,” she wrote on Instagram. “But I want to thank everyone for the overwhelming amount of support.”

Draymond Green

The 12-man U.S. Olympic Men’s Basketball Team will see a familiar face to Spartans. Draymond Green, former MSU all-American, according to MSU Today, will also be heading south in August. Green is currently the forward for the Golden State Warriors. He will be the third Spartan to represent MSU in the Olympic games after 16 years without one, after Magic Johnson in 1992 and Steve Smith in 2000.

“Can’t wait for this experience,” he wrote on Twitter. “Honored to represent my country and bring home that gold medal.”

Franklin Gomez

Not all Spartans are competing for the United States, however. Former MSU wrestler Franklin Gomez, who competed in London in 2012, will be competing for Puerto Rico in the games. He was a national champion at MSU in 2009, according to MSU Today.

Seven Spartans compete for track and field

Although the spots for Rio have not been decided for track and field, seven Spartans are currently competing for a chance to be in the Olympics. Starting on July 1 and lasting until July 10, seven headed West to the United States Olympic Trials at Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon.

Two current athletes, Katelyn Daniels and Tim Ehrhardt are competing with five alumni, Tori Franklin, Leah O’Connor, Nicole Bush, Sarah Boyle and Katie Landwehr, according to the MSU Athletic Department.

Check out our Olympic Issue on Aug. 5 for more on the competition.

Share and discuss “Spartans headed to the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio” on social media.