Sunday, September 22, 2024

Hawk Island County Park rated one of the best in the Lansing area

Lansing resident Lauren Hunter, 6,  plays on the splash pad at Hawk Island Park on June 27 at 1601 E Cavanaugh Rd. in Lansing.  In the summer Hawk Island offers swimming features and trails. During the winter the park offers snowboarding.
Lansing resident Lauren Hunter, 6, plays on the splash pad at Hawk Island Park on June 27 at 1601 E Cavanaugh Rd. in Lansing. In the summer Hawk Island offers swimming features and trails. During the winter the park offers snowboarding.

Hawk Island is one of many Lansing hidden gems, located on 1601 E. Cavanaugh Road. Hawk Island County Park is in South Lansing, and is one of the top parks in the Lansing area.

This particular county park has many activities for all ages to enjoy. Hawk Island offers rowboat and pedal boat rentals, swimming beach, splash pad, picnic areas, shelters, fishing docks, community built playground and a concession stand.

Dogs are also allowed at Hawk Island, as long as they’re on a leash no greater than a foot in length.

Hawk Island County Park is an all-season park. In the winter time Hawk Island offers tubing and a warming lodge to visit after a day in the snow.

“Hawk Island is a great urban park in the city,” Coe F. Emens, assistant park manager, said.

Emens has been working with Hawk Island County Park for 12 years.

“It’s a great place to bring your kids. The splash pad and beach are popular and they’re also lifeguarded,” Emens said.

This fall, Hawk Island has received a grant to redo the asphalt paths around the lake. Having the new asphalt placed on the paths will create a safer environment for those walking, biking or rollerblading on the river trails.

More than one million residents and non-residents visit all three of the Ingham County parks each year said Emens. Many of Hawk Island visitors are families and younger children even though it’s close to MSU’s campus.

“For college students, we have great volleyball courts and we also have our beach where they can layout and relax for the summer,” Emens said.

Lansing resident Tonrae Jackson has been going to Hawk Island County Park since she was twelve years old.

“I love Hawk Island Park,” Jackson said. “My six year old son has a blast on the Splash Pad, which is fairly new.”

Share and discuss “Hawk Island County Park rated one of the best in the Lansing area” on social media.