Sixth annual Turner Street Outdoor Theater comes to Lansing in July

A sign for the Super Cinema property pictured on May 31, 2016 at 6365 Newton Road in East Lansing. The property is currently over grown with debris but encompasses a total of 40 acres.
A sign for the Super Cinema property pictured on May 31, 2016 at 6365 Newton Road in East Lansing. The property is currently over grown with debris but encompasses a total of 40 acres. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

On the night of July 15, new wave rock band Jason Alarm will prelude “The Mighty Ducks.” On July 22, solo act Monte Pride will play before “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” is shown. On the final night of the event, July 29, DJ Cutt Nice of Power 96.5 will ready the audience for “Space Jam.”

“The first year we did it was really kind of loose,” Dominic Cochran, co-founder of the Capital City Film Festival and director of the Lansing Public Media Center, said. “Because of the success of the event and public outcry for more of the event... we decided to bring on more collaborators.”

This will be the third year of concerts, a trend welcomed by the involvement of the Capital City Film Festival and one of the primary contributors to the festival’s expansion. The introduction was designed to shed spotlight on local performers and provide them a launching pad.

“It’s a really nice opportunity for us to bring local musicians out and give them a really good audience,” Cochran said.

Cesar Chavez Plaza holds, on average, 1,000 viewers for each Saturday film night. They gather around a humongous inflatable screen squeezed into the corner of the plaza. Lawn chairs and picnic blankets lie in the front rows and are trailed by cars in the back.

The event is free to attend and is family friendly. Local Old Town businesses will adjust their hours appropriately to provide refreshments.

Share and discuss “Sixth annual Turner Street Outdoor Theater comes to Lansing in July” on social media.