ELPD responds to attempted car theft

<p>East Lansing Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News</p>

East Lansing Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

Friday morning the East Lansing Police stopped an attempted car theft, according to an alert from the ELPD.

The police arrested a suspect and currently have the suspect in custody.

Update as of 2 p.m. Friday:

The East Lansing Police Department responded to a stolen car in progress Friday morning at the Domino's Pizza at 143 North Harrison Road. According to an ELPD statement, the suspect entered a delivery driver's vehicle and attempted to leave the parking lot but another driver blocked the suspect in so he could not leave.

The suspect then backed up, struck the vehicle blocking him and then exited the vehicle and fled on foot. The victim then began to follow the suspect and the suspect stated that he had a gun and would shoot the victim if he continued to follow him, which is when the victim called 911.

ELPD officers located the suspect on University Drive but did not arrest him easily. The suspect fought with the officers as they attempted to take him into custody and had to be tasered in order to be arrested. Two officers were injured in the arrest but neither required hospitalization.

Further investigation by the ELPD revealed that the incident at Dominos stemmed from a long day of vehicle theft.

Several hours earlier in Midland the suspect stole a car and traveled to Perry for an unknown reason. Upon arrival in Perry, the suspect stole another vehicle with an elderly woman still in the car. The suspect released the woman a short time later and continued to East Lansing. The suspect then tried to steal the vehicle in the Domino's parking lot.

The vehicles stolen from Midland and Perry have both been recovered, and the woman that was taken in the Perry vehicle was uninjured.

Share and discuss “ELPD responds to attempted car theft” on social media.