Monday, July 8, 2024

Column: GoFundMe? GoFundYourself!

Last month, Americans everywhere came out in droves to take part in the record-setting $1.6 billion Powerball jackpot, with three lucky winners popping up in three states. While optimism was definitely at an all-time high, not everyone got the memo that winning the jackpot came with a 1-in-292.2 million gamble.

One woman in Tennessee sparked controversy when she set up a GoFundMe page supporting her and her family after she spent “all of her money” in pursuit of lottery tickets each night. Despite the ludicrous financial situation she had found herself in, she still promised nonetheless that the money raised to support herself would enable her to “hit it big again!” 

Despite even one person supporting such destructive behavior being bad enough, it was reported she raised around $800 before GoFundMe had her page shut down within seven hours.

GoFundMe, Kickstarter and even Begslist are part of the new economy in online panhandling (as opposed to “crowdfunding.") Strangers from the inter-webs coming together to support your new invention or your savings fund has found itself a large following of millions of people in recent months. With a simple “share” button to your social media account, family and friends everywhere can send you small donations all at once with little to no hassle. 

Originally, these services had practical, responsible applications. GoFundMe’s have been used, in my own network at times, to support those who have just gone through a natural disaster that tore through their home or find themselves behind on immediate medical expenses. 

Entrepreneurs have enjoyed the immense accessibility these services have in sponsoring a new product to many people at once.
The Powerball jackpot woman, however, represents the darker second life online panhandling has found itself in, which now consists of people seeking money to support bad habits or simply begging for things they could easily buy on their own.

A GoFundMe page has been set up for things as pointless as a new digital camera, to getting front row Beyonce tickets, and even money to “save a relationship.” On the other hand, couples have created a GoFundMe page committed to completely funding their wedding ceremonies and even to purchase a house! (The latter set with a goal of $30k) Many of these people have admitted that they are not even in a state of any financial need, and have not produced any kind of proof that the money will, in fact, go to the specified cost.

College students are not exempt from this. Funding your study abroad trip solely on donations from strangers is becoming an epidemic across the country. 

Assuming that people will line up to hand you money for your vacation is not only unsustainable, but it is also irresponsible when these same students are relatively well-off compared to the real people on GoFundMe who desperately need money to survive.

It is simply no better than begging.
Online panhandling should never replace an actual job. Think before you hand your money over online.

Derek Hackett is a political theory and constitutional democracy junior. 

Share and discuss “Column: GoFundMe? GoFundYourself!” on social media.