COLUMN: Deyonta Davis should hold off on NBA dreams at least one more year

Freshmen forward Deyonta Davis and Illinois center Maverick Morgan react to a shot during the second half of the game against Illinois on Jan. 7, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Illini 79-54.

With the MSU men's basketball team's season officially over it is time to watch one of the biggest stories of the offseason unfold — will freshman forward Deyonta Davis return for a second year under MSU head coach Tom Izzo? Or will the temptation of being a lottery pick in the NBA draft be too much to pass up?

The 6-foot-10 big man has caught the attention of NBA scouts throughout the season, showcasing his athletic ability and defensive prowess as he broke the MSU freshman single-season blocks record, recording 64 blocks in his first season.

His knack for blocking shots using his superior athletic ability and long arms is part of why DraftExpress has Davis ranked as the 13th best prospect in the upcoming NBA draft with ESPN draft expert Chad Ford ranking Davis as the 12th best prospect available.

In his evaluation, Ford lists leaping and defending as two of Davis' best traits, along with his listed 7-foot-2 wingspan.

This talent that has NBA scouts now drooling over what Davis could become was best exemplified in the Big Ten Tournament semifinals, when Davis blocked a Maryland player's shot attempt in the final seconds before disrupting a layup attempt by Maryland sophomore Melo Trimble. Both shots would have given Maryland the lead with under one minute to play.

Being projected as such a high pick could be difficult to say no to for Davis, especially since the rookie pay scale for next season would give Davis a payout of more than $1.5 million if he is drafted in the 10-15 range, as would be expected.

Despite this, it would make far more sense for Davis to stay at MSU for another season in order to continue to refine his game and learn as much as possible from Izzo.

Davis averaged 7.5 points, 5.5 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game during his freshman season and he proved to be a key contributor, starting 16 of MSU's final 17 games.

But while Davis has become a key for MSU this season, and has a high ceiling, it isn't always best to try to discover that ceiling in the NBA.

Sure he would not have to worry about classes and would be able to work out with NBA trainers and players as much as he would want to, but like many before, he could get lost in the shuffle.

The NBA does not wait long for talented young players to begin to show their potential that makes them worth keeping on a team's payroll. Davis would likely struggle right away in the NBA because of his lack of strength, as stronger big men would take advantage of him down low.

Another key issue for Davis entering the NBA now is the complete lack of a left hand shot in the post. Davis went out of his way at times this year to shoot with his right hand from the post, even when using his left hand would have made for an easier shot.

While Davis could no doubt make those improvements at the NBA level, it makes more sense from a growth perspective to wait.

Izzo has proved to be better than most in the country with helping players grow from average players into elite players. Izzo has done this with Draymond Green, who was a three-star recruit and now is an NBA all-star, and Denzel Valentine, who will likely be drafted early on after being projected as a second round pick by most before the season began.

Yes it's true, youth and potential are valued over immediate impact in today's NBA, but at 19, Davis would only improve his stock by staying at MSU for one more season.

Davis would also add what could be the final piece to a 2016-17 MSU basketball roster, which brings one of the best recruiting classes in the country to MSU while retaining key players from this season.

Despite all the talent on next year's MSU basketball team, the one glaring hole if Davis leaves will be in the front court. A front court of soon to be senior Gavin Schilling and freshman Nick Ward isn't exactly a championship level front court, but adding Davis, who could really bloom into something special his sophomore season, into the mix could be the difference between MSU being good and great next season. 

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Deyonta Davis should hold off on NBA dreams at least one more year” on social media.