Izzo says Deyonta Davis has a chance to be among the greatest MSU basketball players

Head coach Tom Izzo speaks with freshman forward Deyonta Davis during the first half of the game against Illinois on Jan. 7, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Fighting Illini, 79-54.
Head coach Tom Izzo speaks with freshman forward Deyonta Davis during the first half of the game against Illinois on Jan. 7, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Fighting Illini, 79-54. —
Photo by Alice Kole | and Alice Kole The State News

At least in the eyes of MSU head basketball coach Tom Izzo.

“Let me tell you something, I think Deyonta Davis is going to be the best big man that has played here in a lot, a lot, a lot, a lot, a lot of years,” Izzo said at a press conference on Tuesday. “But I also think he’s got a lot of growth right now. ... My goal (is when) Deyonta Davis, if it’s next week, next month, next year or a year from now is ready physically, mentally, that’s when he should look to the next level.”

Ever since he started playing for the current No. 4 Spartans (16-1, 3-1 Big Ten), Davis, a 6-foot-10 forward and former McDonald’s All-American from Muskegon, has shown flashes of being that superstar caliber player Izzo believes he can be. Thus far into the season, Davis is averaging 8.3 points, 5.2 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game.

Still, while Davis has been making NBA scouts drool over his potential in the first half of the season, much has been made in past weeks about Davis’ playing time, which currently sits at 17.1 minutes per game.

By MSU standards, that’s a lot for a freshman, especially considering the fact Davis is part of an experienced frontcourt, one which includes seniors Matt Costello and Colby Wollenman and junior Gavin Schilling.

However, it’s not exactly the minutes someone would expect for a player who is currently being predicted as a first round draft selection in the 2016 NBA draft.

Davis, who is a man of a few words, shrugs it off and said earning minutes is just part of being a freshman.

While Davis has been finding his role with the team, he’s also had a tremendous amount of help along the way, which for the most part has come in the form of Wollenman and Costello.

“(Wollenman) is like a personal basketball tutor to DD,” Izzo said. “Every day, DD has to guard him and Colby helps him through his assignments and the learning process. Unbelievable job. If (Wollenman) never scores another point, he’s going to be very valuable to not only me but very, very valuable to Deyonta Davis.”

Wollenman said he tries to help Davis wherever he can, and he, along with Izzo and the rest of the team, have noticed Davis has started to come out of his shell a bit. Davis’ grandma even told Izzo he started to talk more when he came home for Christmas.

“When he got here at first, he was ... unbelievably quiet,” Wollenman said. “He jokes with us now and he seems like a different person. ... Having been here now five years, it’s really easy to see a lot of the things. You know, I’ve been watching from the sidelines for a lot of it. “

Costello, another player who has had a hand in mentoring Davis, said it’s not just the supreme athletic ability which makes Davis special.

“Something else God gave him was a heart and an ability to listen to people,” Costello said. “I think that goes along with being quiet ... but he responds well. We’ve had a lot of talent here at Michigan State. We’re a top program in the nation for 20 years, but to have that combo and that ability and also that ability to listen, it’s going to make him into a fantastic player.”

And Davis is greatly appreciative of all the help he’s gotten along the way.

“They help me out a lot,” Davis said. “Sometimes there’s plays I don’t know and I go to them, ask them and they show me. ... I’d say they help me out the most, honestly. And it’s something I need.”

For now, though, Izzo is excited at how much far Davis has come since he arrived in East Lansing in July, and can’t wait to see where he goes.

“Make sure you understand, we’re not trying to hold him back,” Izzo said. “But his progress has been made because it’s taking steps like it’s supposed to be in life ... he’s going to have a hell of a future in front of him. I want to make sure he’s ready to do what he’s got to do when he gets to the point. And that point will be Thursday night because he’s got to help us win more games here.”

Share and discuss “Izzo says Deyonta Davis has a chance to be among the greatest MSU basketball players” on social media.