Tom Izzo is 1 of 14 finalists on the 2016 Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame ballot

Head coach Tom Izzo addresses the crowd at the end of the home men's basketball game against Binghamton on Dec. 5, 2015 at the Breslin Center. Izzo encouraged the crowd to watch the Spartan football team in the Big Ten championship that night and to represent the university well with their actions. "Do whatever you want," he said. "Just don't burn any couches."
Head coach Tom Izzo addresses the crowd at the end of the home men's basketball game against Binghamton on Dec. 5, 2015 at the Breslin Center. Izzo encouraged the crowd to watch the Spartan football team in the Big Ten championship that night and to represent the university well with their actions. "Do whatever you want," he said. "Just don't burn any couches." —
Photo by Catherine Ferland | and Catherine Ferland The State News

MSU head basketball coach Tom Izzo was named one of 14 finalists for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame on Friday, as part of the NBA All-Star Weekend.

The Class of 2016 will be announced April 4 at the Final Four in Houston. Other finalists include Allen Iverson, Shaquille O'Neal, Sheryl Swoopes and Bo Ryan.

“Being mentioned in the same breath as some of the finalists, not to mention the current members of the Hall of Fame, is incredibly humbling," Izzo said in a press release. "Never in my wildest dreams growing up in Iron Mountain did I imagine ever being named a Hall of Fame finalist. I’m appreciative of the selection committee even considering me. I tell my players all the time to achieve success they must dream it first, but I’d be lying if I said this was something I ever dreamed."

In 21 seasons as the head coach of MSU, Izzo has guided his Spartans to a 515-204 overall record, seven Big Ten Championships, seven Final Fours and a national championship in 2000.

Izzo's current team is  20-5 and ranked No. 8 in the country.

“As a coach, you can’t achieve success without the help of so many people," Izzo said. "Today’s announcement gives me reason to stop and reflect on all the people who have helped me along the way. From the players and the coaches, to my mentors and everyone along my journey from Iron Mountain to Northern Michigan to Ishpeming High School and finally to Michigan State, my home for the last 33 years, they’ve all played a giant part in my success, and needless to say, I wouldn’t be here without them.”

Share and discuss “Tom Izzo is 1 of 14 finalists on the 2016 Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame ballot ” on social media.