No. 7 Maryland and No. 11 MSU a primetime matchup Saturday on ESPN

No. 11 MSU (16-4, 3-4) will take on the No. 7 Maryland Terrapins (17-2, 6-1) Saturday night, and will look to end its three-game losing streak, which includes two home losses and back-to-back one-point losses to Wisconsin and Nebraska.

Senior guard Denzel Valentine said he sent a group text to his teammates Thursday reminding them that they know how to win. He said they just need to eliminate the mental mistakes they have made late in critical stages of games. 

“We started off 13-0, so we know what a winning streak feels like and how to do it, so we just have to get back to it," Valentine said. "We really have to believe in it. We can’t just say it, ‘Yeah, we’re gonna do this,’ and then come on the court and be playing nervous or not doing what we were coached to do and things like that. We’ve just got to get back to our ways."

Senior forward Matt Costello rolled his ankle late in Wednesday’s loss to Nebraska, causing him to miss practice Thursday while receiving treatment all day. Despite this, Costello said he intends to play Saturday against Maryland.

“I’ve just been working it, rehabbing it, doing as much treatment as I can and I’m going to do my best to play Saturday,” Costello said.

MSU will need its starting center Saturday as Maryland boasts one of the deepest and more talented frontcourts MSU has faced this season.

Maryland has four key contributors who are 6-foot-9 or taller, led by 6-foot-11, 255-pound freshman Diamond Stone, who averages 13.5 and 5.5 rebounds, while shooting 59.9 percent from the floor, a line good for third in the Big Ten.

“He’s just an energy big who plays well,” Costello said. “Good hands, good finishing, moves his feet well, so he’s a good player so we’ve just got to take away what he can do.”

MSU head coach Tom Izzo praised Maryland 6-foot-9 junior forward Robert Carter, calling him a real difference maker and “the ultimate pick-and-pop guy.” Carter averages 13.2 points per game and 7 rebounds while shooting 57.7 percent from the floor.

Maryland is led by sophomore point guard Melo Trimble, who averages 13.9 points per game this season and is second in the Big Ten in free throw percentage at 87.8 percent.

“Maryland is the best team I’ve seen on film,” Izzo said. “Trimble, it’s amazing, right now he has 14 free throws in the Big Ten — he had 14 in our game, I think. He’s playing a little different, I think he’s really matured. He’s making some unbelievable passes, still can score the ball, but really letting the game come to him instead of forcing the action, that I thought he did a little last year, so he’s really matured in a year.”

Izzo said playing against someone like Trimble is when MSU will really miss sophomore guard Lourawls “Tum Tum” Nairn Jr., who Izzo has said is MSU’s best defender at the point of attack.

Izzo said junior guard Eron Harris will begin the game tasked with defending the all-conference point guard, but others such as freshman guard Matt McQuaid will have step up and guard Trimble. 

Valentine said he thinks this year's Maryland team is much better than last year's team because of its increased depth. 

“He’s a great player, I think they’re better in a sense of this year is they’ve got more pieces," Valentine said. "They pretty much have the same pieces, but they’ve got Stone now and (Rasheed) Sulaimon now and I think everybody else like (Jake) Layman and Melo, they’re playing with a better confidence this year, so it’s like a step up from their team last year."

MSU went 1-2 against Maryland last season, losing its two regular season matchups against Maryland, including a double overtime loss at Breslin Center. MSU did, however, defeat Maryland in the Big Ten Tournament semifinals 62-58. 

“It’s a very big game for us,” Izzo said. “Don’t be fooled by the losses. I told you, don’t be fooled by the wins early on.”

ESPN's College GameDay will be live from Breslin Center at 11 a.m. and MSU will take on Maryland at 6:30 p.m. Saturday.

Share and discuss “No. 7 Maryland and No. 11 MSU a primetime matchup Saturday on ESPN ” on social media.