Kellogg Center becomes home to more than 300 students during break

Journalism freshman Xuejia Lai packs her suitcase on Jan. 8, 2016 at Kellogg Center. Due to the dorms being closed over winter break and not being able to fly home, Lai had to stay at the hotel.
Journalism freshman Xuejia Lai packs her suitcase on Jan. 8, 2016 at Kellogg Center. Due to the dorms being closed over winter break and not being able to fly home, Lai had to stay at the hotel. —
Photo by Emily Elconin | and Emily Elconin The State News

Kellogg Center became home to 384 MSU students, including journalism freshman Xuejia Lai, during winter break.

Lai is from Hangzhou, China, and said she would have had to spend 20 to 30 hours getting home from East Lansing, in addition to $2,000 to $3,000 on airfare, so she chose to stay in the U.S.

After first traveling to Florida for a portion of the break, Lai spent Jan. 6 and 7 at Kellogg Center before moving back to her dorm in Hubbard Hall on Jan. 8.

Lai said she did not have reservations, but ended up staying in a luxury double room after another guest cancelled reservations.

She paid $110 per night for her lodging at Kellogg Center.

Ann Bertsch, communications manager for the Spartan Hospitality Group, said the hotel does offer a student discount.

If she had stayed in a regular room, Lai said it would have cost her $55 per night.

Kat Cooper, director of communications for Residential and Hospitality Services, said certain residence halls stay open during breaks. Students who need to stay in East Lansing during breaks can choose to live in one of these halls, but they are not always able to do so.

“They (could be) part of a living-learning program that isn’t in a hall that will remain open or the hall best for their class schedule isn’t going to be open over the break period,” Cooper said. “There are other decisions that students make about their living situation that would lead them to choose not to live in a dorm that would remain open over break.” 

Share and discuss “Kellogg Center becomes home to more than 300 students during break” on social media.