Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Halftime: 18 points from Forbes has MSU up 44-33 on Rutgers

An early onslaught of 3-pointers has the No. 12 MSU men's basketball team (18-4, 5-4 Big Ten) on top of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (6-15, 0-8) at the half from Breslin Center, 44-33.

Coming off of a victory in which the Spartans connected on 16 3-pointers against Northwestern, MSU appeared to have carried over the hot hand into Sunday's contest.

Within the first 10 minutes of the game, the Spartans were shooting 7-of-11 from downtown and had built a 29-13 lead. 

The Spartans would go on to finish the half shooting 9-of-16 from beyond the arc.

MSU senior guard Bryn Forbes led the way with six of those first half 3-pointers. Forbes currently has 18 points off of 6-of-9 shooting from the field. 

Rutgers wouldn't go away, though. The Scarlet Knights countered MSU's initial onslaught with a 12-3 run to close the gap to seven, 32-25, prompting a timeout from MSU head coach Tom Izzo at the 7:12 mark of the first half. 

Rutgers freshman guard Corey Sanders leads the Scarlet Knights with 12 points and three assists at the break.

The Spartans eventually halted the Scarlet Knight run and took a 44-33 lead into halftime.

Share and discuss “Halftime: 18 points from Forbes has MSU up 44-33 on Rutgers” on social media.