Ancient elk bones brought to MSU Museum

Ancient elk bones that were stolen from a paleontology sight in Shiawassee county more than 30 years ago were put into the hands of the MSU Museum just before Christmas.

MSU Museum communications manager Lora Helou said an anonymous person dropped off the bones just before break without giving any information about them.

The rare bones included an elk’s skull and antlers.

The more than 5,000-year-old bones were discovered 32 years ago by Anderson Peat Co. employee Lee Williams, according to The Argus-Press.

Helou said the bones were radio-carbon dated to be around 5,800 years old.

After discovering the bones, MSU Museum sent out an excavation group, only to find the bones had disappeared.

"We have some other skeletal material from the same site in Shiawassee County," Helou said. "It helped us verify the location."

Heylou said the bones have been tested and confirmed to be from the same site as other bones, already in the museum’s hands, found at the peat bog.

“They are spectacular," Helou said. "They are in good shape."

Helou said the MSU Museum plans to place the bones in their upcoming Darwin Discovery Day exhibit in order to display them for the public.

"This is by far the most significant, the most impressive skeletal remains," Helou said. "We're really pleased to have them here and have them recovered."

Share and discuss “Ancient elk bones brought to MSU Museum ” on social media.