MSU assistant professor one of four women in her profession nationally

Theatre assistant professor Christina Traister demonstrates some moves with BFA theatre sophomore Mike Merluzzi, as she teaches a stage fight class on Dec. 8, 2015 at IM Sports-Circle. Assistant professor Traister is one of four certified female stage fight directors with the Society of American Fight Directors.
Theatre assistant professor Christina Traister demonstrates some moves with BFA theatre sophomore Mike Merluzzi, as she teaches a stage fight class on Dec. 8, 2015 at IM Sports-Circle. Assistant professor Traister is one of four certified female stage fight directors with the Society of American Fight Directors. —
Photo by De'jah Darkins | The State News

Out of the 46 certified Society of American Fight Directors members in the world, only four of them are women, and only one of them works at MSU.

Christina Traister, an MSU graduate acting program director and assistant professor in the MSU Department of Theatre is a professional actor, director, teacher and one of few on-stage fight directors with the SAFD certification. Traister has taught and performed across the US and internationally at countless Shakespeare festivals and theatre companies.

“I’ve been in over 50 shows, and I’ve created violence for over 100 shows,” Traister said. “I’ve also narrated over 100 books. My fight (directing) has taken me all over the world. I’ve taught master classes in London, Ireland, Scotland, Germany and Canada — I’ve also done stunt shows in Taiwan.”

With a resume approaching 20 pages, Traister has extensive experience on stage and behind the scenes. Traister said her experience is reflected in the classroom.

“I’m the graduate acting director mentoring grad students pursuing an acting degree,” Traister said. “I teach classical acting for senior undergraduate students. Other days I teach stage combat and movement. My teaching style is pretty accessible. I’m very much in an ensemble-based career, so I’m very hands on, and a lot of my classes are more practicum than lectures.”

"I’m in a male-driven world, but I don’t think of it that way. I’ve always been treated very well. ... I’ve had a very feminine acting career, but I’m also very much a tom-boy, athletic and physical. I feel very fortunate ... because I’m not a stereotypical fight guy. More people are open to me and my experience."

Despite being a college professor, Traister still works in the professional world. She said she values the benefits of continuing her work in the professional acting community.

“In the Department of Theatre we all believe in continuing to work professionally,” Traister said. “I’m constantly in the professional world fighting, acting and recording books. I can be on the cutting edge and bring that into the classroom. So it’s constantly changing and if you’re a part of the present (acting) world it makes my teaching more relevant.”

Despite working in a male-dominated world, Traister said she has never let that perspective affect her. She said being a female gives her an advantage in the on stage fight directing industry.

“I’m in a male-driven world, but I don’t think of it that way,” Traister said. “I’ve always been treated very well. ... I’ve had a very feminine acting career, but I’m also very much a tom-boy, athletic and physical. I feel very fortunate ... because I’m not a stereotypical fight guy. More people are open to me and my experience.”

Traister said she has used her experiences as a woman to fuel her while on stage directing.

“I was in the San Francisco Bay area, where I directed sexual assault on stage,” Traister said. “I made sure the actors felt safe so they felt more comfortable performing, and I think a lot that had to do with me being a woman.”

Traister said she believes in any career, individuals should work hard and maintain a positive work ethic.

“My philosophy is work your butt off, have a work ethic and be that person people want to work with,” Traister said. “You have to train hard and be able to show that you are the highest level of your game whether you’re male or female.” 

Share and discuss “MSU assistant professor one of four women in her profession nationally ” on social media.