Spartan Marching Band to perform its most complex routine during game against Maryland

<p>The MSU Marching band performs Oct. 25, 2014, before the game against Michigan at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 35-11. Erin Hampton/The State News </p>

The MSU Marching band performs Oct. 25, 2014, before the game against Michigan at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 35-11. Erin Hampton/The State News

Incorporating elements from MSU’s athletic, music and art departments — the Spartan Marching Band will perform its most complex halftime show on November 14 during the football game against Maryland — the likes of which no Spartan fan has seen before.

“The Art of the March: Cues from Sun Tzu’s ‘The Art of War’” is the title of the performance, according to a press release on the event, and it will feature “an amazing display of color, lights and sounds” as well as five tracks from the film “Crouching Tiger.”

Drawing its influence from Sun Tzu’s famous work “Art of War,” the display will feature 600 performers, 300 of which will be band members, in addition to smoke, dancers and even a dragon.

The coordinator of this audacious event is Jennifer Ma, the same person who choreographed the impressive opening and closing ceremonies at the Beijing Olympics.

While Ma acknowledges Spartan Stadium is a strange venue for a cultural Chinese performance, considering neither football nor marching bands exist in China, a massive arena on campus is “the perfect venue for bridging cultural understandings.”

“Shared experience of watching creates community,” Ma said in the press release. “Art isn’t just in the walls of a museum or in a theater. It’s really important we go outside those walls and bring a shift in perspective, a new experience, to millions of people.”

According to the press release, Ma will be on campus delivering a speech at the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum on Nov. 11 and will lead a discussion regarding the halftime show on November 12 at the Music Building. Both events begin at 7 p.m.

The event also has many on-campus figures excited.

“The intercultural payoff is immense, as the music, rhythm and movement are derived from Chinese folk and classical scores. The show will be musically exciting, visually complex and colorful, all fueled by a spirit of cross-campus collaboration and partnership,” Director of the Spartan Marching Band John Madden said in the press release.

“This collaborative partnership shows a unity of purpose and focus across disciplinary lines, which exemplifies MSU as one of the world’s leading international universities,” Dean of the College of Music James Forger said.

The performance itself also perfectly coincides with the Department of State and Department of Education’s jointly orchestrated International Education Week, beginning November 16.

Share and discuss “Spartan Marching Band to perform its most complex routine during game against Maryland ” on social media.