New group for minority women aims to help with professional development

Finding people on campus who have common interests and goals can be difficult for students looking to improve themselves professionally in college.

Women of Distinction aims to find that common ground for women who want to improve themselves in the professional field and work with a group of people they can relate to.

The organization started last spring, but this semester it is attempting to make a name for itself.

“We want to focus on starting especially freshmen from the ground up," Devyn Reed, vice president and human development and family studies senior, said. "Once they transition into college, we don’t want them to lose that drive and motivation that they had to get into college in the first place."

The group wants to develop a place where people can go to be themselves in a comfortable setting. Essentially one of their main goals is to build an organization where students are able to identify with one another.

President and supply chain management senior Afoke Johnson said the group wants people to be able to learn and grow in a setting that’s not so structured.

Although college is a place where professionals are created, some students might feel as though they need extra support and knowledge before graduating.

“We’re a group of friends, we’re a group of close individuals. When you join, you gain that group of friends, and you gain that support system,” Johnson said.

Women of Distinction wants to help improve the skills of minority women who join.

Members of the group said they want other members to stick out from other professionals on a large scale and give them the opportunity to become the best of the best.

Jelena Robinson, secretary and a human development and family studies senior, talked more in depth about the professional skills the organization would help students with.

“We want you to leave here from graduating from college and you still know what to do in the professional sense like how to dress, how to build a resume, how to network and how to send proper emails,” Robinson said. “We just want to help you grow in a professional sense.”

Share and discuss “New group for minority women aims to help with professional development” on social media.