Friday, February 28, 2020

Trailer released for new football documentary, Through the Banks of the Red Cedar

<p>Former Michigan State wide receiver Gene Washington, left, and Clinton Jones share a laugh Sept. 10, 2015, at Conrad Hall, while talking about racial segregation in sports at a preview of Maya Washington's documentary "Through the Banks of the Red Cedar." </p>

Former Michigan State wide receiver Gene Washington, left, and Clinton Jones share a laugh Sept. 10, 2015, at Conrad Hall, while talking about racial segregation in sports at a preview of Maya Washington's documentary "Through the Banks of the Red Cedar." 

Photo by Jack Stephan | The State News

In early September, Maya Washington, daughter of former MSU football star Gene Washington, came to MSU and debuted parts of her upcoming documentary Through the Banks Of the Red Cedar.

Through The Banks of The Red Cedar tells the story of the 1965 MSU football team and showcases how MSU head football coach Duffy Daugherty used his unbiased recruiting process to bring African American players to the MSU football team, which in turn helped the team become one of the top programs in the country throughout the 1960s.

Maya Washington's documentary is now one step closer to being released, as the official trailer was released at midnight on Friday morning.

Maya Washington said her film is still in post-production, with hopes of being released in early 2016.

Share and discuss “Trailer released for new football documentary, Through the Banks of the Red Cedar” on social media.